New/Old truck question

Old 03-02-09, 04:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
New/Old truck question

Hello!!

I love the look of old stepside pickup trucks but imagine finding parts could be a nightmare. I was wondering if it was possible to get a new truck as a rollover victim, take off the body and put the chassis under the body of an old truck. I am not a body man and cannot afford to do this now, it is just a question in my mind. Also, if this was actually possible, how would it be taxed in terms of personal property taxes. Would the VIN of the old body be accepted or would the VIN of the newer chassis be used for this purpose. Thank you much for any input.

Don't have too much fun because that could be dangerous!! lol

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-09, 05:47 PM
Cool new vs old!

Taking an old body and putting it on a newer chassis is a common thing. In Tenn. we do not have a personal prop. tax(yet) so I can't answer that part. Here we would tag it to the plate on the body. I think you can get a "builders title" for a one off type of vehicle but that usually caused more problems than it is worth.

As for the availability of parts, you can buy just about any metal body part for the old Chevys you want including the cab. It is just a matter of money(isn't it always?).

A 4x4 usually makes a good chassis swayp!!

Old 03-03-09, 12:29 PM
The comment about parts availability is due to an 83 Dodge D-150 pickup I had a few years ago. It was impossible for me to find any performance upgrade parts for a slant 6 engine. Why Chrysler stopped making it is way beyond me since that truck was once down 3 quarts of oil and I didnt notice any difference in drivability until I checked the dipstick. I ahve heard peole mentioning that engine would still run without oil or water in it, which I thought was very impressive.

Old 03-12-09, 06:27 AM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by nightowlpunk View Post
The comment about parts availability is due to an 83 Dodge D-150 pickup I had a few years ago. It was impossible for me to find any performance upgrade parts for a slant 6 engine. Why Chrysler stopped making it is way beyond me since that truck was once down 3 quarts of oil and I didnt notice any difference in drivability until I checked the dipstick. I ahve heard peole mentioning that engine would still run without oil or water in it, which I thought was very impressive.
I had a Godge van once that had a slant 6. I rebuilt it and it ran good but was SORELY lacking in power. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone "hoping up" a slant 6. I would rather have a small v-8 than the six. I do know that without water and oil, the engine won't live but a few minutes/seconds. It won't DRIVE any different, it will just lock up. Been there; done that!!

Old 03-16-09, 01:09 PM
That truck had the wrong carb and it was set up wrong I later found out and it was missing a kickdown rod, that is why I was looking for perf. upgrades.