1997 Dodge Ram marker light electrical short

Old 03-07-09, 03:28 PM
1997 Dodge Ram marker light electrical short

How can I trace down an electrical short in my trucks lighting system. When I pull the headlight switch on it blows the fuse for the marker lights. The headlights will work, but the dash lights also go out after the fuse blows. I've got a multi meter, but need to be pointed in the right direction to figure this one out.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-09, 03:46 PM
see if you can find a breaker that will install in place of the fuse, then unhook all of the connectors to your marker lights including the tag light, then turn on the system, if the breaker trips, the problem is in the main wiring harness or in the dash lights, if it doesn't trip then hook each light up one at a time untill the breaker starts to trip, that will be the circute you need to examine for the short, usually it will be from wires rubbing on something or from a screw or pinching of wires from a recent repair or installation. if you can't find a breaker you can soldier one to a bad fuse with care and use that for testing, I have done that in conjunction with a motorcycle flasher unit that beeps to tell me when the current is flowing. as long as it is beeping current is flowing and you need to keep looking for the problem.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies.

Old 03-07-09, 08:22 PM
Thanx...sounds like a place to start. I'll give it a try and see what happens.