02 Ford F-150 V6 manual 5 spd missing

Old 03-12-09, 10:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
02 Ford F-150 V6 manual 5 spd missing

The check engine light is on, as it has been for a long time... but I have not had it checked out, assuming it was something minor that was not affecting the performance.

Today, something new cropped up... I'm guessing it may be an additional code. Just wondering if you have any ideas about what to expect before I take it in?

It seems to hesitate and miss on acceleration... such as when you push in the clutch, shift to second, (third, fourth, etc.) and step on the gas expecting acceleration. instead it misses pretty hard. If you accelerate very slowly, it does not seem to miss. There is also an occasional small popping backfire from the exhaust manifold, I suppose. I do NOT think it is the clutch slipping.

Is this just a computer controlled ignition problem that is controlled by some sensor that can be easily replaced? I have to go on a trip with it this weekend and don't think I can have it fixed before I leave. Getting scheduled into an auto shop on short notice around here takes a $50 tip, I think.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-09, 04:44 AM
M
Received 14 Votes on 13 Posts
Autozones can check it for codes and tell you what sensor would have to be replaced if it was something fixable in that manner. They usually do it as a service = no charge.

The performance symptoms you have described could point to fuel flow restriction = fuel pump or dirty filter. Also low grade of fuel can cause problems like that. It wouldn't be a slipping clutch. It could be some basic service items like spark plugs/wires also.

If you have good fuel in it I would get to an Autozone and start with a code scan.

Old 03-14-09, 06:45 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That will be lot cheaper than being towed in off the interstate. No brainer

Old 03-16-09, 05:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
It ended up returning several codes... and so they did several things giving it a much needed tune up. Replaced plugs and wires, replaced inline fuel filter, and cleaned the injectors. Also flushed the radiator, replaced the coolant, flushed the power steering pump, refilled. The kind of stuff that probably needed to be done 46,000 miles ago. (Now at 146,000 mi)

Ended up being quite pricey... could have done a lot of that myself, but didn't have the time. At least it's running good again, and yeah, didn't have to get towed off the interstate.