89 suburban choking out

Old 03-19-09, 07:58 PM
89 suburban choking out

I got a 89 suburban with a 350 /700r4.
if i gun it from a stand still it takes off and then suddenly kaput, nothing, rpms drop then it starts again, rpms build, then kapoot again, then rpms build again and it goes fine after that.
I can power brake it and it will roast the rear tires. No hesitaion from a power brake. What could cause the choking out twice then after the truck picks up a little speed, it is fine?
also I can just take off normal and have no problems. Any thoughts? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-09, 08:06 PM
Is it fuel injected or carbed?

Old 03-20-09, 04:11 AM
at what rpm does this occur?

Old 03-20-09, 05:23 AM
My 89 suburban is throttle body injection and not sure of exact rpm but happens when you nail it from a stand still. Takes off then dies out. does not go dead just loses all power then starts to build again then loses again and then goes fine after that.

Old 03-20-09, 05:41 AM
most computer controlled vehicles have rev limiters and if the rpm is high enough it will cut out for a sec and then come right back, you might rev the engine in park or nuetral to see if it seems the same or just to see if your vehicle even has this ability, it doesnt have to be very high rpm usually around 4000 rpm, as it sounds like one from your description if it only occurs twice the rpm can get up there in the first and second gear when you accelerate fast.

Old 03-20-09, 06:08 AM
89 sububan choking out

It revs fine in park and nuetral just when you try to accelerate hard. Power braking is not affected.

Old 03-20-09, 10:24 AM
Just curious, have you tried it with a full fuel tank ?

Old 03-20-09, 08:08 PM
Check the distributor, look closely at the wires going to the pickup coil from the module, make sure the rotor is tight on the shaft and check the coil wire where it goes on the dist cap looking for white corrosion on the coil or distributor end.
Also check the wire harness between the dist. and firewall. Engine torque may be moving the harness and opening a bad connection, this would not happen when trans is not in gear.

Last edited by wire twister; 03-20-09 at 08:12 PM. Reason: add more info