schrader valve cap replacement

Old 03-27-09, 06:02 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
schrader valve cap replacement

1997 F - 150. I dropped the schrader valve cap down toward the motor and probably won't be able to find it back. Can I use a valve stem cap from a tire or is that some kind of special valve? I am trying to change the fuel filter, I got one side off no problem, but the other side coupler seems to be seized up, can I spray a penetrating oil to maybe help it loosen up?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-09, 07:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
No, the Schraeder valve is larger than a tire valve. Most parts stores carry replacements. Do you have the special tool to remove the fuel filter? It is spring loaded and you probably won't get it off without one. Not expensive, just required.

Old 04-08-09, 06:36 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most techs wont put the schraeder cap back on so I wouldnt worry about it. The fuel filter will have 3 spring "fingers" that with a pliers like tool will split in half and fit the feet into the spring portion of the line. Sometimes it helps to push the 2 lines together then insert the tool. You can spray blaster in there too that may help. Also try turning the tool 45 and 90 degrees to where you have been trying to uncouple. You may need to apply light pressure to pull apart the lines but not much.