Does anyone else own a Coachmen Freedom Express (Class C) Motorhome ?

Old 03-28-09, 01:09 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Does anyone else own a Coachmen Freedom Express (Class C) Motorhome ?

I just bought one fairly recently and was wondering what kinds of problems you may have encountered ? I love the layout and 26' is perfect for just me. Im averaging 10-11 mpg (with no cargo) going 65 mph on fairly straight roads --- whats your MPG ? Lastly, my coach entrance door has alot of air noise when travelling ; ive tried adding extra door weatherstripping as well as silicone spray but its still objectionable -- hows yours and , any ideas to correct ? Thanks. Happy Trails ! David.

Old 04-03-09, 04:07 PM
M
Try putting a wrench on striker post where latch meets, loosen off slightly, tap post (striker catch) inward with a block or hammer, and retighten, see if that helps. It usually ends up that you have to slam the door a bit, to get it tight enough to eliminate or minimize wind noise.

Old 05-24-09, 10:05 PM
R
Originally Posted by RVlover
I just bought one fairly recently and was wondering what kinds of problems you may have encountered ? I love the layout and 26' is perfect for just me. Im averaging 10-11 mpg (with no cargo) going 65 mph on fairly straight roads --- whats your MPG ? Lastly, my coach entrance door has alot of air noise when travelling ; ive tried adding extra door weatherstripping as well as silicone spray but its still objectionable -- hows yours and , any ideas to correct ? Thanks. Happy Trails ! David.
I've had the Freedom Express Class C for almost a year now. I also love the layout. It's my first RV, and I always thought all of the air noise was normal with RV's. So, I haven't made any attempts to improve the air noise. I'm averaging 8.5-9 mpg with full water, mostly driving around the city. I've had a few other issues so far:
1) The wooden board under the rear queen mattress has cracked in a couple of places from me kneeling to reach up into the overhead cabinets.
2) Several of the screws around the interior of the coach were loose, and it turns out that they've been stripped (probably from the factory using power tools with too much torque).
3) While checking the air in my rear tires the other day, I noticed that there is a big bolt just dangling on the rear suspension, where a nut must have come loose and fallen off.
4) I've noticed that there is a lot of heat radiating into the cab area when I drive on the freeway. Heat is coming from the driver side leg area and somewhere around the passenger side shoulder area. The radiating heat gets even worse when I run the air conditioner. The heat has been so bad that I can't run the cab a/c in the summer!

I'm really curious if you're having any of the same issues. For the most part, I'm happy with the RV. However, the heat in the cab area might become more of a problem as we start our 2nd summer with the RV!

Old 05-25-09, 05:09 AM
R
Originally Posted by Rver0001
I've had the Freedom Express Class C for almost a year now. I also love the layout. It's my first RV, and I always thought all of the air noise was normal with RV's. So, I haven't made any attempts to improve the air noise. I'm averaging 8.5-9 mpg with full water, mostly driving around the city. I've had a few other issues so far:
1) The wooden board under the rear queen mattress has cracked in a couple of places from me kneeling to reach up into the overhead cabinets.
2) Several of the screws around the interior of the coach were loose, and it turns out that they've been stripped (probably from the factory using power tools with too much torque).
3) While checking the air in my rear tires the other day, I noticed that there is a big bolt just dangling on the rear suspension, where a nut must have come loose and fallen off.
4) I've noticed that there is a lot of heat radiating into the cab area when I drive on the freeway. Heat is coming from the driver side leg area and somewhere around the passenger side shoulder area. The radiating heat gets even worse when I run the air conditioner. The heat has been so bad that I can't run the cab a/c in the summer!

I'm really curious if you're having any of the same issues. For the most part, I'm happy with the RV. However, the heat in the cab area might become more of a problem as we start our 2nd summer with the RV!
Glad you like your RV despite the current problems. If its less than 3 years old, then some of those problems can be fixed under the mfg. warranty. I havent had the problems youve listed above. Ill make a few comments in order :

1. Id lay a piece of 1/2" plywood down for greater strength.
2. Use screws slightly longer and larger to replace the screws so they grab well.
3. Id have a nut put on asap, and have the other suspension bolts/nuts tightened also.
4. Sounds like theres a problem with the air doors / heater water control valve letting heat in when the a/c is on.

Where have you travelled using your RV ? Isnt it easy navigating around towns, etc ? I like how comfortable it is to drive . Regards.

Old 05-26-09, 09:54 AM
R
Glad you like your RV despite the current problems. If its less than 3 years old, then some of those problems can be fixed under the mfg. warranty. I havent had the problems youve listed above. Ill make a few comments in order :

1. Id lay a piece of 1/2" plywood down for greater strength.
2. Use screws slightly longer and larger to replace the screws so they grab well.
3. Id have a nut put on asap, and have the other suspension bolts/nuts tightened also.
4. Sounds like theres a problem with the air doors / heater water control valve letting heat in when the a/c is on.

Where have you travelled using your RV ? Isnt it easy navigating around towns, etc ? I like how comfortable it is to drive . Regards.
Thanks for the tips! I'm taking the RV into the dealer this afternoon. I've mostly been traveling around town for day trips to the beach with the family, but we went to Vegas once last summer. It sure is easy to navigate around towns and parking lots. That's exactly why we chose this model.

Old 05-26-09, 06:22 PM
R
Thanks for the tips! I'm taking the RV into the dealer this afternoon. I've mostly been traveling around town for day trips to the beach with the family, but we went to Vegas once last summer. It sure is easy to navigate around towns and parking lots. That's exactly why we chose this model.
Let me know what the Dealer had to do to correct the heat problem ; im curious. Thanks.

Old 05-30-09, 09:48 AM
R
Let me know what the Dealer had to do to correct the heat problem ; im curious. Thanks.
Well, the RV dealer has had my RV for 4 days now. The RV dealer has refused to fix any of the symptoms, claiming that the we have to take the RV to a GM dealer. I have to wait until Wednesday to speak to the lead technician at the RV dealer, and I'll take another look at my contract and warranty info which I left inside the RV. What a headache...

Old 05-31-09, 01:01 PM
M
Believe it or not, your owners manual has, or should have a number for "Owner relations" both for manufacturer of coach & chassis. Don't be afraid to call that number, it has a tendancy to get things moving a little faster.

Old 06-08-09, 09:08 AM
R
Well, the RV dealer has had my RV for 4 days now. The RV dealer has refused to fix any of the symptoms, claiming that the we have to take the RV to a GM dealer. I have to wait until Wednesday to speak to the lead technician at the RV dealer, and I'll take another look at my contract and warranty info which I left inside the RV. What a headache...
So, where do u stand on this issue now ? Typically, if its a problem with the Coach you take it to the RV dealer you bought it from to have thier service dept fix it. But if its to do with the Drivetrain, etc...then you take it to a Chevy Dealer (or Ford if its built on a Ford truck) . Give us the latest update....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: