03 silverado front end noise

Old 03-29-09, 08:13 PM
03 silverado front end noise

I have a 03 silverado z71 5.3 100k mi, auto, I have a sort of rattle in the front end sounds to be on the driver side, I have checked and rechecked everything under the front end but have found nothing loose, it only makes the noise when I hit small dribbling type bumps, a friend tells me he has heard of this being common on these trucks but no one knows what it is, I am leaning to maybe a shock problem, I have had the shock off but didnt notice any problem with it, any help would be appreciated its about to drive me nuts

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-09, 11:47 AM
I have a 2005 GMC Sierra (similar to your truck). I also had a similar noise after a lot fewer miles than you (around 60K). I don't recall the exact part, but the dealer replaced a steering shaft under a manufacturer's extended warranty. Cost me nothing. Check with a dealer - there may be a technical service bulletin about the problem.

Old 04-01-09, 06:01 AM
My 2004 Sierra made a funny noise and the steering wheel
had a slight jerky motion to it.
Dealer lubricated the intermediate shaft joint and that solved the problem. If its the intermediate shaft,its a fairly common problem with these trucks.

By the way,GM is repairing/replacing these free.

Old 04-14-09, 08:49 PM
Jack up one side of your truck then take your tire by the top and bottom and see if it feels 'loose' by trying to move it in and out, then do the same with the left and right side of tire.
Now do the same with other tire. This may lead in the direction of tie rods , wheel bearing, or Ball Joints...?
Hope it helps.