Repainting Various Parts of an RV

Old 04-01-09, 08:59 AM
Repainting Various Parts of an RV

Hey guys! I just bought my first RV and I'm full-timing it. It's a very large, very nice fifth wheel. It's in great shape with regard to structural integrity, but the paint is faded and the logo on the front and back is also faded and cracking. Each end is fiberglass and the sides are aluminum. I really want to repaint it and make the new color lighter (the original color is almond and makes it look more dingy than it is). I've heard gelcoat is the thing to use on the ends since they are fiberglass, but that stuff's expensive! Anyone know of any alternative paint I can use on the fiberglass parts?

Also, what would you recommend for the aluminum siding part?

One more question....I also want to redo the logo, but for now I'm thinking about just getting on a ladder and painstakingly going over it with paint to brighten it up a bit until I can get it replaced with a mural. Any ideas on what kind of paint I could use on that?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-09, 12:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

Most automotive paints should adhere well provided the surface is clean. For the logo, most any quality house paint [latex or oil] should do ok.

Old 04-01-09, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the Reply

Thanks for the reply, but I just wanted to clarify. The automotive paint would be okay for the fiberglass as well? I just want to make sure. I repainted the fifth wheel hitch and accidentally oversprayed onto the underneath side of the fiberglass and that triggered me to think about what kind of chemical reaction there would be between the fiberglass gelcoat and the spray paint.

It would be sooooo cool if I could use automotive spray paint on the fiberglass ends. That would save me so much money and allow me to get it done sooner. I can't wait. I'm so psyched!

Old 04-02-09, 02:34 PM
painting trailer

I painted a f-glass truck cap three years ago with NAPA acrylic enamel and it is doing great. On the decal contact the manufacturer about a replacement or go to a sign conmpany. Treat the alum sides like you would your car,once you get the balck streaks off.