Diesel fuel

Old 04-06-09, 12:30 PM
W
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Diesel fuel

What is a good way to locate gas stations selling ultra low sulfur diesel when traveling?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-09, 05:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Ken: Not sure of the question. There is a Federal mandate that all diesel fuel meets newer standards of ultra low sulfur at 15 ppm. I have the opposite problem. Cummins diesels made prior to 2007 need sulfur in the fuel in order to keep the $3000 injector pump from going south. We have to add one ounce of two cycle oil to every gallon of diesel at fill up to make up for the lack of lubricant once provided by the sulfur.

Old 04-07-09, 03:45 PM
W
Ulsd

My 2008 Duramax requires ULSD. I am finding that several stations in outlying areas do not sell ULSD. I am planning a trip West of Nashville and the nearest ULSD I can find is 58 miles from my destination. Most oil companies' web sites do not specify which kind of diesel is being sold at their locations. I even called a couple of stations near my destination and they did not know whether their diesel was ULSD or not! All highway diesel will be ULSD by 12-1-2010. Thanks.

Old 04-07-09, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Key word is REQUIRES...

Why in gods name anyone would put a catalytic converter on a diesel is way beyond me, but thats the way it is.

If at all possible, Get two large fuel containers, and fill up the truck and the cans when you find ULS fuel.

"Winging -it" is not an option, because quite frankly, Your truck isnt going to care that he is 30 miles from away from appropriate fuel, when he decides he needs to eat.

Ive seen quite a few of the late model Cummins diesels come in with the wrong fuel in them, and its not a pretty sight. Neither is the Void stamp on the customers warranty card.

Chandler.....Supposedly , the ULS fuel has a Lubricating agent in the formula, for just this purpose.Im assuming yours is in the "RAM" family? There has also been an update issued, which moves the frame mounted low pressure pump, into the tank..This design change apparently has helped, because I havent seen any repeat failures of any of the recently replaced Injection pumps.

Old 04-07-09, 05:24 PM
Yeah, the in-tank pump is a change, but not for the better. First of all, it's in the tank. Second, it just doesn't have the push to get the fuel to the injector pump in sufficient quantity to keep it happy. Third, the cost is prohibitive on an older truck. I opted for an Aeromotive racing frame mounted pump. Shoots 16psi at idle, 12 running, and no less than 7- 9 wao or up our mountains. Mine is a 24 valve RAM.
Ken, not too sure about the Duramax but with the Cummins 70% of the fuel pumped is returned to the tank. It is used a lubrication only, and you only are using the 30% being pumped. Are you into the Biodiesel craze, yet? Seems Kville has quite a few outlets the last time I was through there. Not too sure about where you live. I'm afraid to try it, although some people swear by it.
Unc, what does the higher sulfer fuel do to the newer engines? And what do you think of the Biodiesel? Sorry, Ken, I just gotta know.

Old 04-07-09, 06:26 PM
The Engines Themselves...????

NOTHING.....

Some wizard pencil pusher in our government who has never turned a wrench before, decided we needed a Cleaner diesel....So they eliminated the Major cause of "Soot " production in diesel fuel...the sulfur.

If this wasnt bad enough, The remaining soot is filtered out by a "Particulate " filter, and then to a catalyst. We even have some states now that perform emmision tests on DIESELS!!!!!! Have you noticed that diesel trucks dont "Belch" black smoke anymore?

The Hi sulfur fuels wreak havoc with the filters and cats...and "CAN" over time Allow "Excessively High Levels" of Soot build-up on the internals of valvetrain components...I did Say CAN...this hasnt been proven yet.

Unfortunately, the heat produced and retained by a Clogged exhaust, makes short order of drastically "Over-temping" the engines, Which is where the problems come in.....Not because the engine cant burn it, but because of the added components .

I have heard good of Biodiesel, but I cant be a Fair Judge, I still drive a 1976 Mercury Cougar

The addition of the In Tank pump was basically a Physics Thing....If it is submersed in fuel, it doesnt have to suck it up, and can use that added reduction of energy to increase volume, (Not Necessarily Pressure) to the INJ pump. I do agree, the pressure can be a bit lacking, but the volume definitely improved between the two designs.

Old 04-08-09, 06:34 AM
W
Fuel

Larry, I have not thought about bio-diesel yet. Since I am a first-time diesel owner, I am still trying to learn the basics. I am happy with the performance of my 2500 HD, and I sure do not want to do anything to mess it up. Thanks to all for your help. I am off to the store to get fuel cans.

Old 04-11-09, 11:11 PM
F
The other thing when you pull up to get diesel fuel all the diesel fuel pumps now are marked ULSD or LSD it will indentify at the pump panel the ULSD will have less than 15 PPM sulfer level while LSD is about 150 to 500 PPM range depending on the type of fuel.

But many other area are slowly catching up and they know the time is running out on alot of places where the states must have ULSD which it allready outlined per EPA / European regulations.

Btw Both EPA and EURO emmison requirement is about the excat the same so the European allready running ULSD now about roughly the same time the States were phased in with it.

I know few fuel stations near my area do carry two some case three type of diesel fuel so ya have to really watch the labels on the pumps.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-17-09, 11:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 41 Posts
What about the older 12 valve cummins engines with the good old injection pumps on them? 1997 and older. I have one and haven't been using any additive for lubricity with the newer fuel. Isn't my injection pump lubricated by the engine oil? Do I need to add 2-stroke oil to my fuel?

Old 04-18-09, 07:03 AM
Cheese, like I mentioned, add 1 ounce of two cycle oil per gallon of fuel at each fill up. Skip the 5th fill up, and start again after that. You really need the lubricity. Your injection pump is outwardly lubricated by oil, but internally by diesel fuel. 70% of pumped fuel from your lift pump is going back into the tank as a lubricant only. You are firing only 30% of it.
I buy it by the gallon at WallyWorld and divide it up into quarts (28 oz at a time, because that's usually what I fill up with....creature of habit). Believe me, with the first quart, you will hear the difference. I've got 362K or so on my 2001, and it was like adding a silencer to the engine. Dodge makes it....Cummins shakes it.