loud creaking when turning right

Old 04-13-09, 12:16 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile loud creaking when turning right

I have a 1998 Pathfinder. It's started making this noise over the winter and makes the sound despite warm/cold temps.

When I'm driving atleast 25 mph, and turn to he right, the centrifical force of the car makes this loud creaking sound that is coming from the rear, right side...above or behind the right wheel. It also creaks when the truck goes over some serious pot holes or bumps.

On the highway, it's louder and more sensitive to anytime the ride curves to the right. Just a little pull and "creak, creak, creak, creak." What is it?

I have a trustworthy mechanic who I have gone to yet because of the cost. Is my car about to fall apart on the road?

Any feedback welcome.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-09, 04:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! From what you describe, it could be a shock absorber either loose or going bad; a spring shackle or a suspension attachment point. Difficult to tell without your mechanic looking at it. I would at least have him look at it and determine the severity of the problem. It could be simple or complex. At least you would know whether to drive it or not, or how quickly you would need to make the repairs. If the repairs are eminent, you don't have many choices.

Old 04-13-09, 10:31 AM
J
thanks - I will check to see what the last work on the truck was. I think they replaced all the suspension parts (the rear shock absorbers and springs or is that the same thing?) with in one year ago. I'll post when I find my copy of the bill.

Old 04-13-09, 02:57 PM
Yeah, if you have had suspension work done, check to see it was done properly, as it sounds as if a component is loose or broken.

Old 04-13-09, 09:57 PM
J
update from mechanic work

Thanks. So, I found my bill from 7/13/06, which is so far ago. There must be a more recent one on my desk somewhere.

This bill states the following work:
FRONT SUSPENSION
disassemble frt suspension to replace Mcpherson strut units

REAR SUSPENSION
labor to replace rear shock absorbers

Until I find the other invoice, this work was def done. The other noise the car makes that may be related is when I go over a speed bump I hear a spring/coil sound from the rear of the car. Like something is ...bouncing like a spring. it only last 2 seconds and goes away. The car seems to absorb the shock okay, but this spring sound worries me too.

Think they are related?

Old 04-14-09, 04:32 AM
You betcha! I believe if you look under it you will obviously see either a shock loose or some other part misaligned. You can tell by comparing it to the left side. Keep us posted.

Old 04-23-09, 07:38 AM
J
Cool

Hi,

I think I fixed the creaking sound on right turns at driving speed. I put the Pathfinder up on car ramps in the driveway and got underneath. I took some photos of one of he problems I found. A mount leading to the post muffler, which is attached by the rubber hangers, was allowing the whole muffler system to rock side to side, and part of it was tapping/scraping against the chassis of the car. I could see a worn down, rusted spot where the mount piece rubbing / tapping. The entire muffler is hung in a way that I could not pull the pipe away from chassis, so I used some small picture hanging wire to prevent the movement. I wrapped it around the mount and the rubber hanger to keep it from sliding into the chassis.
Tell me if you can view this photo and short video (in Quicktime).
pathfinder - jakesocket

Drove the car - did everything to make the sound and could not. Success, but not a long term solution.

The other sound - when going over bumps, the "Ka - chunnngggg" coil sound - is still there. I took shots of the struts/springs if you want to see them.

Old 04-23-09, 04:41 PM
Send them. I think you have another one of those rubber bands on the opposite side that has either come off or is broken, and should be pulling the exhaust system away from the frame where the tapping is happening.

Old 04-23-09, 05:02 PM
J
Thanks.
Curious, Were you able to see the photo and movie on the link I posted?