Power Door Locks on 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab

Old 04-19-09, 11:41 AM
F
FMD
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Power Door Locks on 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab

I have a 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab that the power door lock button on the drivers side does not work. All doors lock and unlock with the remote entry fob, and all doors lock and unlock with the passengers side door button.
1st I thought that I would check the drivers door switch for power , I used my test light and it showed that neither wire comming to the switch was live so I assumed that there must be a break in a wire comming to the switch. I then checked the passengers door switch the same way and I found that there was no live wire there also so now I don't know what to think. I have checked all fuses and they all seem OK. A freind said it may be a relay, but how does a relay not work through one switch yet works through another.
Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-09, 01:07 PM
Power door locks on these vehicles do not work on the "Power/Ground" principles .

The switch triggers a response from a body control module, which then in turn activates the appropriate relay.

Try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes....It will reset the WCM and BCM data. If this doesnt restore function, then either the switch is bad, or there is a wire broken in the Drivers door "BOOT"....

Chrysler has a Specific screen in its "Scan tool" for troubleshooting body controls and Data "Busses".

Old 04-19-09, 01:19 PM
F
FMD
Thanks. I will try the battery connect 1st. Then I will try searching backwards on the 2wires from the switch to inside of the cab. I would assume that as lon as there is continunity the wire are ok

Old 04-19-09, 01:54 PM
F
FMD
Disconnected battery cable as suggested and it seems to be working. Who knew???????

Old 04-19-09, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Yeah, computers are everywhere..and sometimes they aren't so smart...gotta just smack 'em around to get 'em back in line.

Good call Unc...I'll be storing this one away for the future. Not that I'll ever own another Chrysler product. Does this apply to other vehicles as well?

Old 04-19-09, 06:43 PM
As luck has it... Absolutely.....

True Scenario......

There is a TSB on all 07,08,and 09 Dodge Nitros . In cold or rainy weather, The Wireless control module can be "Zapped" by static electricity. This locks the module out, kind of the same as a Home PC "Freeze -up" The Key fobs dont work, and you cant start the vehicle , because the pcm cant read the Security Code from the key.

A check engine light is set, and the vehicle is towed in......Disconnect the battery , and the car starts, and all is normal....Until the next time.....I cant advise a customer to disconnect their own battery as opposed to a tow, because the loss of battery power, CLEARS THE DATA associated with the Check engine light, and then I have Nothing to work with, Except a strong "HUNCH"

Chrysler has issued an Updated WCM for this issue, With only marginal success.

Old 04-19-09, 08:45 PM
F
FMD
I know that 3 of the last vehicles I have had ,at least once or twice the check engine light has come on but the only problem was the gas cap not put on tightly on a fill. This Dodge Dakota had a engine light come on at approx 60,000 km. Took it to the dealer where I bought it from , after engine diagnosis, ( they said was no 3 plug miss fire) engine flush, new spark plugs and something else, it ended up costing me $450. A few weeks later engine lite on again, another $75 for an diagonistic, they claimed they found another little problem and fixed it, but it only cost me $100 this time. Not a week later I was on my way up to the lake the light comes on again. I call the service to ask what should I do, and they said drive it and bring it back when I got back.
As it happens I was going throug a city that had a Dodge dealer and I stopped in and asked if they could check it out as I was concerened . They did . In a half hour my truck was ready, asked what the engine code was they said no 3 plug miss fire. They said that obviously the dealer I went to first had not re-set the computer or cleared out the original code fault or something like that. Asked about the diagonsitc cost and they said it was warranty. Never had the light come on again.
I had my truck booked last week to have my door lock switch fixed but had to cancel as I had to go out of town. When I booked the service they said it probably was a broken wire. I am glad now that I was able to fix the problem. I am sure that they woul have told me my problem was the broken wire and the labor to fix would have been $$$$$$