2006 Ranger - Transmission?

Old 04-27-09, 09:32 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2006 Ranger - Transmission?

I picked up a 2006 Ford Ranger a couple of months ago (4 L./6 cyl.). ... low mileage (12,000 km. / 10,000 miles). During the past few weeks, about 10 minutes after it has warmed up, I've noticed a slight shudder when it starts moving (at an intersection stop light, etc.). It sort of feels like the brakes are on, which might be true since it has been cold & damp around here & the brakes do grab a bit. (I'm hoping its brakes - they're cheaper than transmissions ;-)

Sometimes it feels a bit rough shifting into 2nd or downshifting from 2nd to 1st. All this is intermittent. It will shudder 3 or 4 times then be OK for the next 3 or 4.

A mechanically-inclined friend said it sounded like torque converter problems.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-09, 09:22 PM
C
I have a 97 that exhibited similar symptoms. One of the parking brake cables was frozen not allowing the brake to release. I seldom think to use the p/b so the cable corroded.

Old 04-30-09, 04:58 PM
E
Yeah, my '92 Ranger did the same thing but that's one of the reasons I upgraded to the new one. Maybe its common to all Rangers?

Today, when I was at a stop light facing downhill, it did the shudder thing before I stepped on the gas so I'm hoping its a brake related problem.

Old 05-15-09, 07:35 AM
If your talking about that little hiccup in power transfer when starting off or the downshift during stopping than I think that's common. My '08 Ranger does that sometimes. It does act like brake grabbing though. and it is sporadic. hmmm...
Although when it's carrying a heavy load it doesn't occur and has a smoother downshift from second gear.
Maybe something to do with a being a light truck and yet geared to handle large loads? I don't know, these trucks have like 9 different rear end options. So it's difficult to weigh the facts. Your mention of torque converter caught my attention, but not because I think there's a problem. Just thinking about the stall characteristics.

Old 05-15-09, 07:00 PM
E
Well that's a bit reassuring mick. I had a '92 Ranger that behaved the same way later on in life but I didn't expect the 'new' one to do it as well. I put a new transmission in that one & it still did it. Baffled the mechanic -- he even threw in a universal joint for free because he thought that might be the cause.

OK, I guess there's nothing to do but keep an eye on it for a while and hope for the best ;-)