3 way camper fridge

Old 05-10-09, 07:51 AM
3 way camper fridge

I have a 2002 Sun lite truck camper, the fridge is a Dometic Americana RM 2453. The unit works well on propane & a/c but dc works poorly or not at all? I have removed & cleaned the heating probe. Even took it to an auto elect shop, they say it draws the proper amps,& gets very hot. Other campers tell me dc doesn"t work that well. Personally I think it should work or it wouldn"t be there. Does anyone have ideas or experience with these units?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-09, 09:28 AM
If i"m not mistaken, Dc is primarily meant for use in transit to keep an already cold fridge cool, and not for full time use AC being the preferred source of power and LP intended for use when AC is unavailable.....

Good luck and have a great day

Old 05-11-09, 06:12 PM
Liljman is correct. Cool your fridge as needed with ac hydro or propane before you have to switch over to 12vdc. It will only maintain temperature, and that's providing you don't open door too much. Been at this for about 15 yrs now & they're all the same. To be honest, I think most only use it at the border so they don't get in trouble, and at fuel stations or where open flame from propane could cause big trouble.