RV frig smells of ammonia

Old 05-23-09, 05:58 PM
RV frig smells of ammonia

Strong smell of ammonia before camping trip. Norcold 6062, freezer cold but frig not cooling correctly after turning it on. Repair or replace?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-09, 06:38 PM
nap
I would do a cost comparison but chances are, it would simply be best to just replace the thing.

I'm not all that well educated on ammonia refrigerators but unless something damaged the system to cause a leak, it is most likely corrosion which would generally be more cost effective to just replace the whole unit.

Old 05-23-09, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator
If you have an ammonia leak the steel tubing will be corroded and can not be repaired.
If it is a top brand you may be able to get a replacement cooling unit but a new fridge could be a better investment.

Try a major RV dealer for an estimate.

Old 05-23-09, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the info. I was kinda thinking along the same track. How much trouble would it be to replace it with a standard household frig? How and what would one look for as far as the gas line goes? I do a lot of camping just around SC state parks and such, but my 93 Chateau is getting a little old and I'll probley keep it forever and turn it into a play house for my hobbies one day in the future. I'm retired ye know and really can't afford those 1400 dollar frigs.

Old 05-23-09, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator
You would have to safely disconnect and cap the gas line before it can be removed.
You would also have to modify the electrical by installing a 120 volt receptacle for the fridge.

You then would only be able to use the fridge when the camper is plugged into shore power.

Old 05-23-09, 07:53 PM
nap
or he could get a 12 volt refrigerator.

Old 05-27-09, 07:28 PM
ammonia odor

I had the same problem in a 1979 Royals International. The odor got stronger each week we visited our camper. The freezer worked but not the fridge.
I took out the Norcold unit and bought a fridge from Wal-Mart which fit the space. And I capped off the gas line. There already was an outlet for 120v use so it plugged right in.
It is permanently parked on our land so electric is the way it will always be.
I think to replace the Norcold unit was expensive, $700?

Sas

Old 05-28-09, 02:07 AM
Or you cold get an inverter for when your on the go. 60-100, probably still cheaper than buying a 12v.

Old 05-31-09, 01:08 PM
Smile

The spot the current fridge is in, should already have a receptacle there, if it worked on hydro before. Also, check with Norcold, your cooling unit may be on a recall & replaced free of charge. (Norcold# 1-800-667-3005 ) Have you model & serial number on cooling unit at back of fridge ready.