tranny flush on 01 Silverado 4 speed

Old 05-27-09, 05:41 PM
tranny flush on 01 Silverado 4 speed

I want to change out all the fluids in this used truck I bought. 130K. I want to dump the trans oil but I dont want the bad cooler line system used.I want the pan off , pump inlet flush system.Where the oil goes straight into a bucket and doesnt circulate further.

I want to get a dvd on this trans... its the auto with the D 321 on the column. What is the model number on this one..??? anyone know a complete dvd for maintenance and rebuild
for this trans..??
..........edit... I just talked to 3 supposed pros about how they flush trans oil. Not one of them understood the 2 diifferent systems when I referred to them by name..
cooler line systems and pump inlet systems under the pan. Not one. what the hell is this.??
is there any one who knows what the hell they are doing??
The cooler line system is the most common and the LEAST preferred. It replaces some of the oil with osmosis basically.It circulates the old and new together until the color is improved only because there is now a higher percentage of newer oil. The better pump inlet system pushes the old fluid out in to a bucket and does not mingle the old and new oil. Most dealers have the inferior cooler line system. Its probably cheaper for them.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-09, 08:45 PM
there is no real way to completely flush out a transmission 100%. when you hook the machine up and "flush it" it will get about 60% of the fluid out, the advantage to this method is that it will get the mojority of the old fluid out of the torque converter and throughout the valve body. the other way is to drop the pan, change the filter, then fill it back up/

what i like to do is every 50k alternate with the flush method and dropping the pan.

my advise to you would be to just do both. take it somewhere where they will hook it up and flush it, then when u get home get some quarts of atf and a filter and drop the pan yourself then refill it.

when you topping it off just remember to run the engine, and after your done cycle through all of your gears to make sure that all of the fluid is where it needs to be in the transmission

good luck,
rednecksputter

Old 05-29-09, 06:18 PM
your saying the pan method drops all the fluid including the torque converter..?? without pumping or flushing??

Old 06-03-09, 10:19 AM
Trans flush

No what he is saying is do both,have the rans flushed then replace the filter.which I agree would be the best bet for getting the max. amount of fluid changed. Now there is a big debate going on about the wisdom of changing fluid in a high milage vehicle that hasnt been serviced regularly. There is a high incidence of trans. failure after changing fluid in these. Coincedence? I dont know. What I do is drop the pan every 50K and replace the filter along with about 6 qt. of fluid. Just sold one with 200K and no problems. Also add my name to the "dummys" who never heard of the second method you speak of, and I have been playing with these things for 55 years.

Old 06-08-09, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by diy99999 View Post
your saying the pan method drops all the fluid including the torque converter..?? without pumping or flushing??
You need to find a service place that uses the T-Tech flush machine ; it does get all the fluid out because as its feeding in the fresh fluid it is also removing the old fluid at the same rate. You can opt to have the trans pan dropped and cleaned too along with the filter screen...but if you add an external removable filter in the trans cooler line such as what youd find at JEGS Performance Auto Parts - Accel Billet Specialties Edelbrock MSD Moroso Mr Gasket , you wont need to drop the trans pan in the future .