Air Intake 2004 Dakota 3.7 V6

Old 05-29-09, 11:15 AM
F
FMD
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air Intake 2004 Dakota 3.7 V6

I have a question on the air intake of my 2004 Dakota 3.7l.
I have been going up to my lake property for the last 3 weekends and today I went for an oil change to my surprise when they checked my air filter, a red squirrel had built a nest in the cavity area below the air filter. He had chewed a bit of the bottom of the air filter only about 1/4 of the way through. No material was able to pass through the filter and the squirrel was nowhere to be seen.
What I have done now is taken the air intake off and fastened a 1/2" screen over the complete air intake and reinstalled it.
My question is will this have any effect on the air intake? I was planning on putting window screen over it but I thought it might plug with frost etc. in the winter.
You know I kind of thought I was getting better gas mileage on the last round trip ( 500 km ) . Maybe I should have left all the grass etc that the squirrel has put in ther.
Any comments on the screen causing a problem down the road that I should be aware of ?

Old 05-29-09, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Nope...If you used the galv welded hardware cloth, its very common in farm country. Keeps the critters out...mostly.

Old 05-29-09, 11:50 AM
F
FMD
Thanks for you reply, yes that is what I used. It may not keep a mouse out but sure will keep the squirrels out

Old 05-29-09, 05:02 PM
Try a Moth ball or two in the air cleaner box below thw filter......Rodents dont like them, and at very worst, they will only rattle around without doing any harm.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: