Substantial ATF leak from back of pan

Old 06-10-09, 09:44 PM
Substantial ATF leak from back of pan

I'm helping my neighbor out with his 1995 Ford F150 4x4 truck. I changed the ATF filter and gasket for him. I torqued all 14 bolts to 15Nm (as the manual calls for). I refilled the drained Mercon V ATF with new, the ATF now leaks a lot out of the rear of the pan (at the transmission mount) almost as if four of the fourteen bolts weren't tight. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-09, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by benzo View Post
leaks a lot out of the rear of the pan (at the transmission mount) almost as if four of the fourteen bolts weren't tight. Any ideas?
Probably because they arent.......The back 4 or 5 bolts are next to impossible to reach with the mount in place.... so just because they are tight, doesnt mean they are secure enough to hold the pan.....

Bent pan?, Crushed Gasket?.....

If you must remove it......Ditch the gasket, and use a bead of Black RTV sealer.....Its much more forgiving of gaps and imperfections..

Old 06-11-09, 03:39 PM
That was actually my next course of action. Chrysler makes an RTV silicone sealant that reacts with ATF to form a tight seal. I was able to get to those rear bolts by raising the transmission a few inches at the mount. That allowed me to get in there and torque those four bolts. I was hoping someone knew of a problem with these transmissions like this. The gasket is new and the pan seems flat at the mating surface...

Old 06-11-09, 03:57 PM
Funny you should say that.....

I work for Chrysler, and Im staring at a Tube of ATF-RTV right now.

Cork or rubber Gasket????? The rubber is reuseable, the cork is not....