2004 Ford Ranger windshield wiper problem

Old 06-15-09, 11:39 AM
2004 Ford Ranger windshield wiper problem

This weekend my 2004 Ranger started to exhibit a bizarre problem. When I turn on the lights, parking or headlights, the wipers turn on and the washer starts spraying fluid. This will last for about 30 seconds and then shut off. Interestingly, if the headlights are in the high beam mode, the wiper goes into high speed, vs low speed if the headlights are in the low beam mode. If I turn the lights on prior to turning on the engine, all is normal. The wipers and washer work normally via the stalk control, so I'm guessing that the activation of the light is causing some sort of electrical spike that is activating the wipers and washer. Any clues where to look?

Ken

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-09, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Not a Mech...but we do have a couple of good ones here..give them time.

My first thought would probably be the BCM (body control module). If it were just a wiring or switch issue of some sort, you would think it would always exhibit the same symptoms.

Anyway..as I said..give the experts a while.

Old 06-22-09, 07:33 PM
Color me confused

I find it hard to believe, but in poking around I found the right front running light was out, so I replaced it. Got in started the engine, turned on the lights to check and make sure everything was OK and no wiper problem. I find it hard to believe the wiper problem was related to the burned out light, but there is no problem now and it's been 5 days. When I have time, I'm going to pull the bulb again and see if the problem comes back. Weird to say the least!