swaping motors

Old 07-09-09, 12:45 PM
swaping motors

Am thinking on buying a 97 f150 with a blown 4.2 lt engine,I was told that a person can pull the 4.2 and drop in a 4.6 Everything will match from mounts to tranny to harness Does anyone know if this is true?? 4.2 is a 6cly with manual tranny and the 4.6 is a 8 cyl with auto tranny,Is rad the same?? ect

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-09, 07:08 PM
Absolutely Not.....

The simplest form of explanation is ...How would you fire eight spark plugs , or 8 injectors , with only 6 wires?????

Yes , I suppose anything is possible, and while it may fit, the important details and differences Take it WAY BEYOND a weekend DIY project, not to mention the expense of harnesses, computers, belts hoses...and on and on and on and on........

Old 07-09-09, 07:11 PM
what if wiring harness was switched? along with computer??

Old 07-09-09, 07:25 PM
Only if you had a Complete donor vehicle........

This will likely turn into a "Hi-Priced Horror flick" so look carefully before you leap.....

Physically, yes there are provisions for both motors, and physically will fit in the same engine bay......Other than the obvious 6 to 8 idea....is tramsmissions...an automatic is fully electronic, where a stick -box is just a Clutch switch and reverse lamps......, will you be able to get a Crossmember to accomodate an automatic in a stick vehicle.?

Im not one to discourage the DIY scene.....but what you propose , is a long term commitment.. there is nothing Bolt in or PlugnPlay about it. Before you spend your cash on something that has a distinct possibility of not turning out as you had planned....Think.

Old 07-10-09, 03:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not to mention differential ratio changes from stick to automatic, ABS and speed sensors and basically all the electronics dedicated to the old computer. Wasn't a problem back in the 60's with my '55 Chevy, but today......nightmare city.

Old 07-20-09, 08:08 AM
Thxs for the info you've pretty well convinced me not to try this swap one last question will the tranny from the 4.2 fit the 4.6 ?