lost truck lights suddenly

Old 07-30-09, 04:11 PM
lost truck lights suddenly

i had to back my boat trailer further into the water than i expected so my truck was in the water up to the tailpipe. About an hour into my drive home i suddenly lost brake and signal lights. There was no fast clicking from the signal lights that usually happens when the flasher is going. One minute i had lights then none. I had unplugged the connection between trailer and truck before backing the trailer in so i can't figure out why i've lost my lights. I read the manual and found the fuse box. Problem is that my husband had added extra lights and wiring and it's hard to find the fuses. My husband passed away this winter so now i'm trying to do the mechanical myself. I really need my truck back but don't know how or where to start trying to find the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Truck is an 88 GMC pickup. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-09, 04:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Inside the fuse box cover is a schematic showing which fuse protects which circuits. There should be one or more that control signal, brake and tail lights. See if you can find them, and pull them with the puller located in the fuse block. Look to see if they are blown, and replace them as necessary.
Another area of concern is the wiring near the rear bumper. If it was submerged and if it hasn't completely dried out, it could keep causing the problem.
Let us know how it goes with the fuse box and associated fuses. What lighting did your husband add to the truck? Fog/driving lights, bed lights, clearance?