tire selection help

Old 08-02-09, 10:02 AM
tire selection help

I'm looking to purchase one,of two tire brands for my GMC pk up,regular cab, 4x4. One is a Michelin LTX M/S,and the other is a BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A tour.

Other than price,which tire would be the better? Also,there original tires are 245/75/16,and 265/75/16 are also offered.
These tires are P tires,and i'm wondering why one would buy the larger size.
Thanks for opinions.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-09, 07:39 AM
Tires

Stay with the size reccomended for your vehicle. Changing will affect your spedo reading,trans shifting,computer info,etc.
The P indicates passenger, if you haul heavy loads or tow heavy trailers you might want to consider LT (light truck) tires.
They ride rougher but sway less.

Old 08-19-09, 12:15 PM
i bought some michelins for my truck 1500 4x4 chevy 4.3 regular cab and i`ve put 120,000 miles on them. they still have lots of tread left. the treadwear number on the tire means alot. those are 520 i think. i only have 2 left on there the back now as the others picked up nails real bad and i wanted good front tires for long distance. the old backs are about 8 years old and started as the fronts before 1 rotation. the set of 4 back then was $700.00
but man do they last. great traction in sand and ice even on the back of the empty pick-up. there`re 16in wheels.
the ones i replaced them with are michelin. but with a lower tread number and they do seem to be wearing a little faster.

Old 08-19-09, 02:05 PM
I had Michelin LXT M/S on my GMC Jimmy when I bought it at at 20,000 miles (executive wife's car owned by GM). It had them on it and it looked like they may have been original or swapped out soon. I replaced then at about 110,00 miles, so I only have 35,000 on the new ones.

I have always use Michelins on my company cars (50,000 miles per year) and never had any problems for 20 years with them on cars.

After that, I have no reason to change brands, but always order to match the original vehicle specs. Different sizes can upset the suspension and and performance.

Old 08-19-09, 04:10 PM
I've always had Michelin tires on my cars and trucks. No complaints with them, except the price.

I was trying to decide if the B F Goodrich tires would be a good choice also. Costco has the best prices for these tires.

Old 08-19-09, 04:48 PM
i checked my tires and my old mich. are 380 treadwaer and the new ones are 500. higher the # the longer they last.
but i think the old ones will out last the new ones.

as for bf. tires, i`ve never heard any thing about them...good or bad.
if you get them let us know how they are.

a friend of mine bought a brand new chevy truck and it came with a set of generals on it. 15,000 later he had them put a whole new set on they did for free as the tires where chunking off. he only drives about 30 miles a day.
even the backs were all cut up. they said it was the tire. i bought some of those at sams club years ago for my suburban and had good luck with them. i think alot of these tire companys have changed their rubber in the last 5 years and made it cheaper.

Old 08-28-09, 06:54 AM
The Goodrich is half the price and wears and performs well for a truck tire. I use them on my trucks. If money is not a consideration then the Michelin is a better tire.
Bill

Old 08-28-09, 12:28 PM
Tire rack rated both tires very well. I'm leaning towards the BF Goodrich as i'm a low mileage driver(7K) and don't haul /tow anything of much weight anymore.

Thanks to all who responded