How does trailer e-brake battery get charged?

Old 08-19-09, 10:35 PM
How does trailer e-brake battery get charged?

I was checking over my 2 year old utility trailer and I noticed there's no apparent way for the 12V emergency disconnect battery to get a charge. Am I missing something or is it common to have to charge the battery manually?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-09, 02:32 AM
What size plug do you have connected to your vehicle? One of those connectors should be 12 volts and should be charging the battery when you are hooked up. If it sits for long periods of time you could add a solar charger to keep it at peak.

Bud

Old 08-20-09, 12:34 PM
I looked up some information on emerg. disc. switches/batteries/wiring and found they are usually not connected to tow vehicle 12V power. Many kits come with a trickle charger. My trailer didn't come with a charger and I guess I was just supposed to know that I needed to charge it periodically. Hey after 2 years that tiny little gelcel is still at 12.6V...not bad.

Old 08-20-09, 04:06 PM
Ya, some of the breakaways come with that trickle charge or two stage charger built right in. Make sure your battery is rated for your charging.

Bud

Old 08-28-09, 06:44 AM
You can get a battery maintainer charger from Sears as well as many places. You install it and leave it in the vehicle so when you need it the battery is charged. You do however need to plug the trailer in to 120v when it's parked for it to work. I install them on hot rods a lot.
Bill