Advice on veering off pavement and trailer towing.

Old 08-22-09, 03:15 AM
Advice on veering off pavement and trailer towing.

I flatten two car tires years ago when I veered off new asphalt surface to soft shoulder on south 79 for just few seconds. The sharp edge of new pavement and deep offset shoulder shred both right side two tires when I made a big mistake - I turned wheels right back to pavement.

It is our instinct to turn wheels back to pavement right the way when we slipped off to the shoulder, but a sharp edge will cut tires when that happened. A proper response is to slow down and pull to the right of a solid shoulder.

Although my 09' Honda Odyssey has class III 3500-lb towing capacity, I notice that If can I can tow stuff with an open trailer, like 6x10 open trailer, instead of an enclosed trailer, with lower trailer profile and less wind drag, my van gets higher mileage and less engine stress.

On open trailer, I cover stuff with tarp then tie it down to protect them from the elements. It comes with a 4' fold-down mesh gate serves as load/unload ramp which is not included in enclosed trailer.

DIO

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-09, 05:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Good advice. A couple of weeks ago my helper and I were traveling down a highway and noticed a pickup had fallen off the right shoulder coming at us. I just knew what was going to happen, so I slowed down considerably. Sure enough he jerked it back on the highway. All I saw was the underside of his truck 3 times and the top twice as it rolled toward us, sort of like in slow motion. We got the guy out unhurt (miracle in itself), as we couldn't even tell the brand name of the truck.
His main concern was finding his cell phone....go figure.