94 Chevy 1500 will not start.

Old 09-16-09, 07:27 AM
94 Chevy 1500 will not start.

94 Chevy 1500 / 5.7 / automatic trans/ 2wd

I'm having trouble starting my truck. When the problem started my starter would turn over after 5 turns or so of the ignition. Now I get nothing, no clicking or anything. I pulled my starter, and took it to get tested, and it passed the test. I replaced the cable from the battery to the starter, but still no go when turning the ignition. There's another smaller cable that runs from the battery up behind my block up in to the dash then back to the solenoid I guess? I can't follow it to well. I think it may be that cable or my ignition. I already picked up a new ignition switch and plan to replace it next. Should I do anything before I pull my steering wheel and start working in my column?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-09, 07:56 AM
Lightbulb

the ign switch is not under the steering wheel.
it is on top of the strng columb(above the brake pedal).
there is also a neutral saftey switch in the start circuit.
a vehicle specific manual/sold at the local parts house will be helpful in the procerure to replace these switches

Old 09-16-09, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by newtofta View Post
the ign switch is not under the steering wheel.
it is on top of the strng columb(above the brake pedal).
there is also a neutral saftey switch in the start circuit.
a vehicle specific manual/sold at the local parts house will be helpful in the procerure to replace these switches
Right, I bought that switch to replace as well.
ThanksBeer 4U2

Old 09-16-09, 08:53 AM
turn head lamps on,have some one watch them-tryto start,do the lites stay bright,dim slightly,go off?

Old 09-23-09, 03:13 PM
jump the starter; using a screw driver arch the 2 terminals on the starter. small terminal is the excite wire and the big wire is from the battery. voltage goes down the small wire (purple) to excite the solenoid, jump the 2 together and see if it fires up, key needs to be in the start position. if that does not work check for voltage with a test light on the small terminal

Old 09-24-09, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by squibby View Post
94 Chevy 1500 / 5.7 / automatic trans/ 2wd

I'm having trouble starting my truck. When the problem started my starter would turn over after 5 turns or so of the ignition. Now I get nothing, no clicking or anything. I pulled my starter, and took it to get tested, and it passed the test. I replaced the cable from the battery to the starter, but still no go when turning the ignition. There's another smaller cable that runs from the battery up behind my block up in to the dash then back to the solenoid I guess? I can't follow it to well. I think it may be that cable or my ignition. I already picked up a new ignition switch and plan to replace it next. Should I do anything before I pull my steering wheel and start working in my column?

Thanks
hopefully you haven't done too much yet. just check your grounds going to the starter, battery, and ground to the body. it sounds to me like you should just change the solenoid. it wont cost too much, try that and let me know. I have a chevy that done that to me too and i changed that. check the tension to the alternator after you check your grounds.

Old 09-26-09, 11:02 AM
Today I had some time to work on my truck, and replaced the ignition switch. After replacing the switch the Truck started the first try, but now I'm back to where I started from. I took the new switch back off, and back on again to make sure the rod was pulling the switch correctly but still nothing. Not really sure whats up now.

Old 09-26-09, 03:11 PM
is it possible that the switch is now-out of adjustment?
try - loosen switch mounting screws/nuts-slide switch toward strng wheel.

Old 09-26-09, 06:48 PM
This may sound silly,, But have you Load tested the battery & cleaned the terminals????(don't just measure the voltage, get an actual load test done on it)) ???? Do you have a test light?? Roger

Old 09-26-09, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by hopkinsr2 View Post
This may sound silly,, But have you Load tested the battery & cleaned the terminals????(don't just measure the voltage, get an actual load test done on it)) ???? Do you have a test light?? Roger
!!i tried to get him to turn the head lites on & do a simlar test of battey effenctiy-no reply !!