Dodge Ram 2500 Limited Slip Rear Dif.

Old 09-28-09, 11:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
Dodge Ram 2500 Limited Slip Rear Dif.

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500, 4 wheel drive, automatic with the limited slip rear differential. I've been bad and have not changed the fluid in the rear end for 75'000 miles and I finally changed it 2 weeks ago and used oil that included the friction modifier for limited slip differentials. After the fluid change I am getting what feels like a clutch slipping when I turn corners. Almost a shuddering/clutch chattering feel. Then I added a 7oz tube of friction modifier to the rear end. I've been driving it for a week and I still have the problem. Anyone know what is going on?

Old 09-28-09, 05:35 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
suggest-change fluid again-use a 'synthetic'75/140 gear oil(some what expensive-$20 a quart)
go to the local chry/dodge dealer- buy the 'correct' friction modifier.
(different axle manufactures-use different clutch materials-so ther is not a one fits all friction modifier-to my knowledge!-if some one knows other wise- i am sure they will let us know)

Old 09-28-09, 06:46 PM
D
wrong fluid, wrong modifier? The fluid was it in from the factory and worked fine, you changed the fluid and got the problem. Pull up to the dealer and buy what you need, keep in mind you might have to buy double now since you will have to "flush" the wrong fluid out.
I suggest changing to the right fluid w/o the modifier, drive in a figure 8 pattern for about 15 minutes to heat up the fluid and get the clutches broke free. dump that fluid while its still warm and then refill and use the modifier.
Was the old fluid milky? lots of metal on the magnet? did you just drain it out or pull the rear cover and clean it with parts cleaner before you put the current fluid in it?

< built gm rear diffs in everything from a camaro to a 6500 series dump trucks for years>

Old 09-29-09, 03:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Thanks for the advice. The Dodge dealer in our town closed earlier this year (bankrupt, not part of the nationwide closings) so I'll order in the proper Mopar fluids.

When I did the change I did pull the cover and wiped out the bottom that I could reach. Not much was in the bottom of the housing. The fluid definitley looked used, compared to the front end which looked almost new, but no chunks or unusual amount of metal.

Last edited by Pilot Dane; 09-29-09 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-29-09, 06:49 AM
N
you do not have to order the gear oil from mopar, just the friction modifier.
'name brand-quality' oil is ok-synthetic-75/140
have you tried - go to an empty parking lot - make 10 'tight' circles.left. then 10 right.
it works the lube in to the clutches-might be worth a try

Old 09-30-09, 09:06 AM
D
make sure you power steering is full before you start the dizzy process of figure 8's or what the other guy said about turning both directions, kind of 6 of 1, 1/2 a dozen of another, steering fluid will heat up and you dont want to create another problem.

Old 09-30-09, 03:35 PM
N
did not mean to hold steering at a full lock,
just a tight turn

Old 09-30-09, 04:00 PM
P
Group Moderator
Thanks for the warning.

I learned long ago on a very cold winter morning that this truck is much harder on it's power steering system than a car or 1/2 ton truck. Up to that point I never even wondered what powered the brakes on a diesel truck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: