reno-ing an '86wilderness(28") trav.trailer

Old 10-05-09, 07:25 PM
reno-ing an '86wilderness(28") trav.trailer

...just bought this gem and we knew we'd have some work to do. My wife and I love construction and renovation and also love a challenge. Also, people told us we were crazy ....so there's even MORE motivation. The internet has some amazing videos and advice, but does anyone know of any good, thorough rv renovation magazines? This way I can read up anywhere I am. Thanks......

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-09, 08:41 PM
Me too

Originally Posted by roswen View Post
...just bought this gem and we knew we'd have some work to do. My wife and I love construction and renovation and also love a challenge. Also, people told us we were crazy ....so there's even MORE motivation. The internet has some amazing videos and advice, but does anyone know of any good, thorough rv renovation magazines? This way I can read up anywhere I am. Thanks......
We just bought a '79 GMC Marque that needs some interior renovation. This is not a prob for me as I am up for this. This RV has only 16k miles on it and runs great. Leaks are due to age I'm sure. I can rebuild the motor, trans, rear if needed, re wire it for 12vDC or 120vAC, thats not a problem. Rebuilding the interior will be a challange though. I will keep looking for info as I need to be done by MX season 3/2010.

Old 10-31-09, 07:25 AM
Not sure where to find info your looking for but will tell you this much. Think 4 ft x 8ft. Panels, for pretty well everything from ceiling to walls, etc. If you look close, you'll either see batten over edges, or seam tape that matches pattern on wall or ceiling, where 2 panels meet. Most of framing in behind is 2x2's. Most times the panels are fastened with staples, at edges, and sometimes glued or stapled as well at 2 ft centers. look for spots of putty in mid of panel, which would indicate staples. If you feel rough bubbles on surface, or loose wood backer (laminated) under paper on surface, good chance it's wet or was wet behind there, so expect to see same behind it. Usually 2 " or so fibreglass insulation, or sometimes styrofoam. If you have aluminum siding on exterior, it will be easier to repair/replace any rotten wood framing because you can access it from both sides if necessary. When replacing interior panels, go with something recommended for shower/bathroom use, or if possible, RV use, as they are less susceptible to moisture, as well as hot/cold temperature changes. Those panels are just basically 1/8" laminated panels, with vinyl wall paper on them. Trying to peel wallpaper off, and re-papering, usually becomes be quite a job, or impossible, so I would think replacement, if needed. To remove them, is usually via flat pry bar, and/or utility knife. You might even see if you can find a specialty plywood store, as they have been known to stock them, for marine use, which would be good too.
I could go on here, but will wait for specific areas that you need help with, as we go. When your ready to remove something, remember, you have 12 volt DC, as well as 120 volt AC hydro in behind there, so keep that in mind, and turn off breaker or pull fuse to that area, until panel or whatever is removed and your sure it safe to turn back on. Your propane lines should be coming up from under floor to each appliance, so be careful there too. If you have to unhook any propane lines, make sure propane is off/disconnected at tanks, and be sure to put a proper plug in the fitting after removing it from the appliance, and tighten it well. Don't hook any of it up until a certified technician has checked it, as we all know what can happen, so please don't play with that stuff. Been there done that for approx. 15 years now, (certified) hydro, plumbing, propane 12 volt etc, in the RV industry, so I've run into pretty well everything you will. Currently working at a summer RV resort with approx. 350 units to service all summer, then for the winter months, we rip apart the damaged,leaking , etc units, and rebuild them for the spring. Let me know if I can help. Use gloves when ripping or replacing those wall panels or ceiling panels off, as they will provide you with many a splinter if you don't. (ha-ha, been there done that too!!) P.S. Be sure to seal exterior with proper sealants/methods before subjecting unit to weather, before interior repairs are done, unless you have it inside. Once you rip it apart inside and find any and all signs of water leaks from outside, it will allow you to address problem areas on exterior, as well as scrape, clean & re-seal entire exterior, to insure your hard work is safe. Personally, I like to do all the exterior sealing, Once I pull it apart inside, then put it outside in the weather for a while if time allows, and double check all areas inside before putting it back together. At least a good blast with the water hose at all moldings, windows etc. would be a good idea. Keep in mind, proper cleaning and prepping as well as sealants used on exterior is the key to years of leak free RV'ing. No, not silicone from hardware store !! Good Luck

Last edited by Mike.B; 10-31-09 at 07:41 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 11-03-09, 06:18 PM
Thanks Mike B.

I will be starting mine in a week. Need to replace (1) ceiling vent and (1) power vent, then seal outer seams. Mine is a 21'
mini motor home GMC. The bunk over the cab has seen its share of water. I will need to start there.

I will definetely ask if I have trouble. Thanks for the info.

B

Old 11-18-09, 03:52 AM
That's usually one of, if not the first place they go. Quite common. Good Luck.