Oil pressure gage-- 03 Silverado, 5.3L

Old 10-10-09, 03:39 PM
Oil pressure gage-- 03 Silverado, 5.3L

Last week I noticed my oil press gage pegged out at 80 psi. All other gages were working as usual and reading normal. Later on, it went down to 0 for a few seconds and then back to 80. Could this be the sending unit or the gage?...loose wire maybe. Anything I can check ouy with a VOM?
Any help will be appreciated.

Vance

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-09, 06:11 PM
start with the sending unit, it would be the most likely culprit
IMHO.

Old 10-11-09, 07:52 AM
General Motors has issues with the instrument cluster in the 1999 - 2002 Silverado pick up trucks.

There are many factors that comes into play when you are dealing with a electronic / computerized vehicle.

The smallest part of the equation is the sending unit it's self.

I guess if you wanted to, you could buy a new sending unit and try it.

But a Tech II tool, used in the GM garage can read all the diagnostics and tell the technician if the sending unit is working or not.

If there was a problem with the oil pressure, a red light usually appears in the cluster which tells you that you have low / no oil pressure and a code would appear in the DTC and maybe even the check engine light would come on - but not always.

If you have a problem with your oil pressure, you will know soon enough, because you will have severe pains in the left hip pocket and will be a couple of hundred dollars lighter.

One thing to do to resolve the problem might be to buy another cluster at a junk yard that has about the same amount of miles on it, since the mileage is stored in the prom inside of the cluster and not in the ECM.

Old 11-05-09, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by wire twister View Post
start with the sending unit, it would be the most likely culprit
IMHO.
Just a quick note to let you know you won the prize...a slap on the back and a big "atta boy"! A $40 sending unit and a $10 - 27mm deep socket and the problem is fixed. Thank you.

Vance