Butt Ugly Blue Fiberglass Cap

Old 10-12-09, 10:08 AM
Butt Ugly Blue Fiberglass Cap

I got a fiberglass cap with a truck I just bought and it needs repainting in the worst way. Can I just sand this thing down and repaint with the same paint I'm going to use on the truck?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-09, 06:47 PM
paint cap

Yes you can,, I did one three years ago and it still looks good. Just make sure you do a thorough job on the wet sanding or the paint will not stick.

Old 10-13-09, 12:37 AM
Thank you. What grit do you sand down to?
I'm going to paint the truck and the cap the same color (black). I also want to try to modify the cap a bit to make it more useful to me. I'd like to take the side windows out, make the window holes longer and put locking doors in their place. I keep just about every tool I own in this truck and I hate climbing over stuff to get the tool I need which is always all the way at the front of the bed.

Old 10-13-09, 03:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
400 grit is considered the norm prior to using automotive paint. You may need a coarser grit to remove/smooth any problem areas, just be sure to use the 400 afterwards. 400 grit is the coarsest sandpaper that automotive paint can still fill in the sanding scratches.

Old 10-13-09, 04:23 PM
I don't mind sanding at all. On some of my nicer woodworking projects, I've been known to go down to 1000 grit. A lot of people don't pay enough attention to sanding.
I thought you were going to say 2000 or something. I had assumed I was going to have to go to 1200 or 1500 but I didn't really know for sure as this will be the first vehicle I've ever painted. I just have to figure out how to get dry air. I'm having a serious problem with water in my air when I'm using air tools like a sander or something. I even have a water trap on the compressor but it's not much help.

Old 10-14-09, 04:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What size compressor do you have?
Water traps work better when they are farther from the air compressor. How often do you bleed or drain the compressor?

btw - you can use a finer grit, 400 is just the minimum, any coarser and sanding scratches will show. I suspect if you go too fine it might affect adhesion.

Old 10-14-09, 12:13 PM
It's 20 gal 5.5 HP. When I first put it in, I put the compressor about 30 ft away in a separate concrete block room. I couldn't stand having it in the shop with me because when it started I would jump 10 feet. Anyway, from that room I ran PVC hose to a regulator/water trap. Then rubber hose to a wall mounted reel about 6 feet up.
Now the compressor is back in the same room with me but it still goes to the hose reel.
Last night I was using a die ginder with a paint remover pad on it and with in 15 minutes, the die grinder started spitting water. I'm beginning to think the compressor isn't big enough to use a tool like a die grinder and as it struggles to supply me with air, it gets warm and the cool ambient temperature causes a lot of condensation.
Maybe I should insulate the tank?

Old 10-14-09, 02:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
How often do you drain the trap?

My 1st air compressor was a 1hp 11 gal from sears. I've used DAs and have painted cars with it. I don't remember a lot of moisture problems and I lived in fla at that time. I had a seperate water trap and did drain the tank after each use. The biggest problem I encountered was waiting on the compressor to catch up so I could spray some more. With sanders, they would just continue to operate at a reduced speed.

While I still have the small compressor and use it occasionally [it's portable ] I now have a 6.5 hp 60 gal. The climate here is a lot drier but again I don't have a lot of condensation problems. I bleed off the bottom of the tank regularly and both regulators have a built in water trap.

You might try installing another water trap. It can be as simple as installing a tee with a drop pipe and valve. They say you aren't supposed to use pvc for compressed air. Supposedly it can burst under pressure and cause damage or even injury although I must admit my shop has the air plumbed with 1/2" pvc and it has held up fine for over 17 yrs.

I also have my air compressor set up in a seperate tool room - you can still hear it run but it isn't as overwhelming

Old 10-17-09, 09:06 AM
Apparently, I don't drain the tank often enough. I'll start doing it more often. I'll definitely install another trap. I'll try the tee as you suggest.

Old 10-17-09, 01:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You don't have to completely drain the air tank, just enough to drain off the water. While I always completely drained my little 11 gal compressor tank, the 60 gal never gets drained - I just bleed off a little after each day's use, the water settles to the bottom and generally 90% or more of the water will come out in the first few seconds. If I'm going to paint something critical, I'll also bleed it before I start.