2003 chevy silverado

Old 10-31-09, 03:14 PM
2003 chevy silverado

I have an issue with my heat, a while back my heat would not come on on fan level 1 but worked on 2,3,4,5 but now i must put it on 5 for it to work and even then it only stays on for a minute and then stops....

any ideas are appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-09, 07:52 PM
Heater blower Motor Resistor.

I had a 1992 Silverado and replaced the factory radio with a aftermarket radio and the air conditioning quit working.

The day I found a buyer for it, I took the aftermarket radio out and put the factory radio back in and it worked again, go figure.

The windshield wipers would work when the sun was out and would not when it was raining.

Sometimes if you drove it down a bumpy road the wipers would start to work. Sometime after that, GM had a recall on the windshield wiper motor printed circuit board - where when it got wet it would not work. Go figure.

I believe Advance Auto Parts sells the blower motor resistor.

I usualy just bought them directly from the parts counter at the local Chevrolet garage - about $15 to $50 depending on the model and year.

Old 11-01-09, 12:40 AM
CLAW is right but you probably have to repair the connector to the resistor also. the terminals in the connector will most likely be melted. buy the resistor and connector or you will end up with the same problem again soon.

Old 11-01-09, 09:05 AM
Usually on that model all that happens is that it burns the board - which then it will only have high and no other position on the dial for blower motor.

When you take the board out, it will either be green or blue.

The coating on one side will be melted and there is no user serviceable parts.

You will know as soon as you take it out if the wiring harness is burned. In that case you will need a replacement wiring harness.

Usually the Silverado Pick up trucks burns the harness and the Malibu's just burns the board.

I worked in a junkyard for a year and I took dozens of blower motors out and heater controls and it was almost never that the physical parts repaired the problem. It was usually just the Blower Motor Resistor.

Most GM garages will have it on stock at the parts counter - along with a wiring harness - should you need one.

Old 11-01-09, 12:46 PM
Thank you both.................. anywhere on the net have some good pics and step by step directions.....
I dropped the cover yesterday and the fan seems to be a sealed unit, and the plug did not want to come out easily(and then it started to poor. As you well know they dont give you and room to work and you cant see a darn thing under there....

Old 11-02-09, 08:16 AM
CANT POST PICS ON THIS LOVELY SITE BUT HERE IS SOME STUFF THAT MIGHT HELP YA.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:
Customers may comment that the A/C blower only operates on high or repeat blower resistor failures. Cause is a mis-positioned harness from the blower motor assembly to the right I/P fuse block C4 causing harness rub through at right I/P metal support.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Repair wiring and reposition blower motor harness away from the right I/P support. You may also want to insulate the I/P support bracket with foam tape to prevent any future concerns. Refer to SI Document 885398 for further details on wiring schematics for this circuit.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.

Models:
(03-05 Chevrolet All Full Size Trucks And Utilities) and (03-05 GMC All Full Size Trucks and Utilities

Disconnect the electrical connection from the blower motor.
Disconnect the electrical connection from the blower motor resistor.

Remove the blower motor resistor retaining screws.

Remove the blower motor resistor.

if you still need help shoot me an e-mail address and i will send you pics

Old 11-02-09, 04:24 PM
Dirtwrks - he has a 1992 Chevrolet truck and not a 2002 Chevrolet truck.

If the harness burned, he would know it because the cab of the truck usually fills with smoke and he would be complaining about a terrible stink and a potential fire under the dash.

If I remember correctly, if you look under the dash, there is usually a cover over the blower motor and you take like 3 screws out of it and then the cover comes off and then you take like 3 or 4 screws out of the blower motor and then you look inside of the heater box and you will see a board with a wire going to it and that is the blower motor resistor.

My advice is to buy a Haynes Manual from Advance Auto Parts, because if you are going to own a 1992 Chevrolet truck, this is not going to be the only time you are going to work on it.

Old 11-03-09, 10:52 AM
Dirt,
Thanks I will soot you an email as I want to be sure I got everything correct.

It is a 2003 Silverado....

Old 11-03-09, 04:05 PM
i will get it to you asap, I did check here today as we were way busy. I will get it to you in the am

Old 11-03-09, 04:56 PM
Blower Motor Resistor fix (with pics)

I've got a similar problem on my 02 Silverado (only 4 & 5 work), but haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. I found this on Full Sized Chevy forums that should help - although it's a 2001 which may be slightly different. There are also some links to websites that sell the needed parts if you're so inclined.

How To: NBS Blower Motor Resistor Replacement - FSC Forum

Ted

Old 11-03-09, 05:41 PM
OOOP's my bad, sorry about that one.

Should be after you take off the cover, you take the one screw out of the band that covers the cabin air filter and you remove the two air filters and behind them you will find the blower motor resistor.

Like others have said, if the harness is bad, you will need a new one.

It's pretty simple and straight forward - just go to any Chevrolet dealer and they can show you a exploded picture on their computer and will also have the parts on stock.

It's a pretty common item to go bad.