Front axle seal - 95 Dodge Ram 1500

Old 11-22-09, 05:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Front axle seal - 95 Dodge Ram 1500

I have a 95 Dodge Ram 1500, 4wd, AT, AC, 5.9. I just rebuilt the front end with new ball joints, axle wheel joints, brakes, etc and in my haste to get in assembled, I must have damaged the left side axle seal. Does the ring gear assembly need to be removed to install the new seal?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-09, 06:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I've got a 2001 3500 4wd cummins, and my u-joint began to wobble on the wheel side. Had to replace it. Had to burn it off. Removing the hub will be a nightmare unless it has been done recently. The tolerances they used on Dodges doesn't allow for rust, etc. Needless to say when heating up the hub for removal (which destroyed the hub), the mechanic didn't think about the heat harming the seal. So here we go again, removing the hub (easier this time), pulling out the axle half and replacing the seal. Not to be second guessing, but the seal should have been replaced anyway. Good luck with it.

Old 11-22-09, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Votes on 32 Posts
I am pretty sure your front axle is the same as my '88 3/4 ton Dodge and you need to remove the differential components to change the seal.

I was lucky that my mechanic friend owed me a favor last time mine needed changing!