2000 ford van E-250 - heating problem

Old 12-03-09, 07:38 AM
2000 ford van E-250 - heating problem

Dont know if this is the proper place to ask but..

My Ford f-250 van's heat stopped working. The temperature control knob seems like it isn't connected. When I turn the TC knob it spins, fairly freely, without me felling any clicking etc... The blower and air conditioner works fine.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong and how to fix before I freeze to death? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-09, 11:43 AM
Group Moderator
Trying pulling the knob off and look at the back side were it goes on the post of the mechanism; the plastic may be cracked allowing the knob to rotate on the post without moving the mechanism.

Old 12-03-09, 02:45 PM
Thanks for responding.

I went out and pulled the knob and inspected it and there are no cracks or worn places on it, or the plastic mechanism post. While I had the knob off, I turned the TC post, while the heater was on, and nothing changed. It turns by hand, with some slight resistance, but doesn't engage anything.

I noticed something else though. The knob to the right of the temp. control knob, is the heat/AC/Defrost control knob. No matter what position that knob is in, it only blows cold air out of the dash vents. (On defrost, no air blows out of the windshield vent, but blows strong out of the dash vents, same with the floor etc..)

Old 12-03-09, 03:41 PM
You say it only blows out the panel vents & the AC works?? Is this a work van?? The kind that everyone throws stuff on the top of the dash??? There is a possibility there is a pen or something inside the heater causing the blend doors to stick.. I believe the controls for these are electric so they won't have much resistanse to them when you turn them... Just a thought as I found lots of the E-series with stuff in the ductwork...Roger

Old 12-03-09, 05:05 PM
Yep, It only blows out the dash vents, and the AC works. The air flow does change slightly as I turn the knob on the AC, Vent, Defrost Mix, and floor settings etc.. but none ever come out of the floor vents or the windshield vents no matter which setting.

It is my work van, and since we're on the road so much, we use it as our office as well, so there may very well be a pen or something that has slipped into the system. I wouldn't be surprised at all. My co-worker keeps his paperwork and other work paraphernalia on the dash on the passenger side.

Old 12-05-09, 08:54 AM
Took my van to the shop this morning and the mechanic said the Temp control mechanism needed replacing and that there was something else behind it that was not working as well. He said he could get the parts Monday so I guess I'll let him fix it
next week. I really would like to do it myself but don't know enough about it.