EFI Fuel Pump too much?

Old 12-24-09, 03:19 PM
EFI Fuel Pump too much?

I have a 1984 Ford F-150 with a two barrel Carter on a straight 6. The front fuel tank is shot. I got another one off of an '86.
The '86 had EFI and the tank has an internal fuel pump.
If I install the tank AND hook that fuel pump up, am I going to blow the carburetor right off of the manifold?
Someone told me I was going to have to get some sort of regulator to reduce the pressure from that pump.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-09, 04:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You'll need to find out the stock pressures of each pump to see if they are compatible. One problem with Fords is the between-tank bleed switch was faulty and caused the back tank to pump fuel indiscriminately to the front tank. The front tank would pressurize and sometimes overfill causing a spill and potential fire hazard. Once you determine the pressures of the two pumps I would tackle the tank switch to make sure it was working properly.
Carbs run at such a sissy pressure, anyway (3 to 7 lbs on some), while my Cummins likes around 14 to 18 lbs.

Old 12-24-09, 06:56 PM
The pressure from the EFI pump would be way too high for the float valve in the carb to hold back. You could put a regulator on it to tame the EFI pump, but then you're dealing with two pumps and a lot more complciations.

You'd be much better off running the mechanical pump on the engine common to both tanks and let the switching valve decide which tank you're pulling out of, which is the way it was done before EFI.

Then pull the EFI pump and use a stock line mount for the tank. I wouldn't make the mechanical pump pull fuel past the EFI pump.

Old 12-25-09, 06:39 AM
By pass the fuel pump

I think I'll take the pump out of the new tank and stick with the old one. Think the guts out of the old tank will fit the new one? I guess I'll find out soon, huh?
Thanks and Merry Christmas!