2000 Chevy S10 wont start

Old 01-04-10, 09:12 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
2000 Chevy S10 wont start

OK guys and gals,

you've never let me down before. Heres the situation. My gf had the tire fall off the rim, after not getting it fixed for months. It had been quite cold and sat for nearly 2 days like that. When i finally got the tire replaced, it wouldnt start. Realized it had almost no gas, so I put 5 gallons in and still wouldnt turn over. I eventually ran the battery dead. AAA came and without so much as looking at it, said it was the fuel pump. This was replaced just under 2 years ago. Im trying to trouble shoot as best I can. What can I do to try to disspell that it does, in fct, need a fuel pump? Thanks in advance. Dan

Old 01-04-10, 12:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
When you turn the key to the "on" position do you hear the fuel pump buzz for about 2 seconds? If not, it may be toast. Try turning the ignition to "on" and taking a rubber mallet and tapping the fuel tank a few times. I had a K1500 that did that, and must have had some trash in the fuel pump. Never happened again.

Old 01-04-10, 12:41 PM
H
Thanks chandler. I didnt hear a buzz, but I never herard one before. I tried to tap on the fuel tank, but it seems to be protected with a shield. I put dry gas in the tank. It really started fine until it sat for 2 days, in very cold weather. Would a fuel pump give any kind of warning before going? Like I said, it was replace just under 2 years ago.

Old 01-04-10, 01:05 PM
H
I just put a screwdriver in the hole to the tank while she turned the key on. The fuel pump did buzz.

Old 01-04-10, 02:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Then you're getting fuel. I forgot to ask what engine you had and whether it was fuel injected or not. That's the next step.

Old 01-04-10, 06:14 PM
H
sorry. Yes V6 4.3L FI. Im now going after the distributor. So if the fuel pump isnt shot, should dry gas be able to get through the line? I know....stupid question.I should have my man card taken away.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: