Help i need a describtion on how to reinstall my distributer

Old 01-01-10, 02:14 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help i need a describtion on how to reinstall my distributer

i have a 97 tahoe with a vortec 5.7, i had to replace my lower intake manifold gaskets.

and the tinming was off so i tried to reset it at top dead center. and now im having issuse... it wont start up.

please can any one give me a set of good instructions?

Old 01-01-10, 03:05 PM
L
Remember, your #1 cylinder will come up twice... there is a compression stroke and an exhaust stroke. If you think that your at TDC just because #1 is on top, you may be on the wrong stroke and therefore throws your timing way off.

Stupid question.... you do know that #1 is drivers side front cylinder, right? I won't admit why I ask that..LOL

If you had your distributor out, are you sure that you have the plug wires back on in the correct place and order? You need your motor on TDC, you need to know which plug connector on the distributor is #1, which direction your distributor spins, and then start there and connect your plugs as per the firing order going the direction around the cap that the distributor spins.

Getting a distributor back in requires a little bit of a touch, it doesn't take much to be off by 1 tooth even if everything else is right.

Old 01-01-10, 03:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Distributor Removal & Installation
Notes

Distributor Removal

Remove the ignition coil wire harness from the ignition coil and distributor cap.

Remove the distributor clamp bolt.
Remove the distributor and the distributor clamp.

Remove the distributor gasket and discard.
Distributor Installation

Bring cylinder number one piston to Top Dead Center (TDC) of compression stroke.

Remove the distributor cap bolts and discard.
Remove the distributor cap.

Install a NEW distributor gasket onto the distributor.

Align the indent hole on the driven gear with the paint mark on the distributor housing.
Ensure that the distributor rotor segment points to the cap hold area.

Align the slotted tang in the oil pump driveshaft with the distributor driveshaft. Rotate the oil pump driveshaft with a screwdriver if necessary.
Align the flat (1) in the distributor housing toward the front of the engine.
Install the distributor and distributor clamp.

Once the distributor is fully seated, align the distributor rotor segment with the number 8 pointer that is cast into the distributor base.
If the distributor rotor segment does not come within a few degrees of the number 8 pointer, the gear mesh between the distributor and camshaft may be off a tooth or more. Repeat the procedure in order to achieve proper alignment.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the distributor clamp bolt. Tighten the distributor clamp bolt to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.) .

Install the distributor cap onto the distributor.
Install the NEW distributor cap bolts. Do not overtighten the NEW distributor cap bolts. Tighten the distributor cap bolts to 2.4 Nm (21 in. lbs.) .

Install the ignition coil wire harness.

pmed this to you also Good Luck pm me if you need pictures to go with this don't like remote hosting for pictures.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: