96 Jimmy Undercarriage Rattle

Old 12-31-09, 03:50 PM
96 Jimmy Undercarriage Rattle

Its getting louder. With the Jimmy on ramps, I had the engine gently accelerated which I noticed increases the rattle somewhat but (when driving on the road seems to quite down after hitting a cruising speed). While listening under the car the sound seems quite apparently to be coming from the transmission housing. There seems to be no noticeable change in the operation of the transmission as it has gotten louder. Since the vehicle was in park during my sound inspection, it obviously has nothing to do with the drive axle. Any thoughts out there? If transmission, what's best rebuild existing? Buy a rebuilt? What kind of budget do I need to consider? Much obliged for any who will give this some thought.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-09, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
Dust shields....heat shields.....motor or trans mounts. Maybe a loose torque converter or cracked flex plate if so equipped?

Since you've gone this far...use a mechanics stethoscope and find the true offender.

Type of trans and engine would help the Pro's....

Old 01-01-10, 03:50 AM
Good point: 6 cylinder, auto trans. The sound seems to come from the back side of the transmission, not near the front where the torque converter is but I'll check that out. The mounts also seem to be ok and I see no excess movement on either start up or engine rev but I'll give the mounts another once over. What is a flex shield (where is it located). Is a mechanics stethescope a real tool or something that is put together? Much obliged for your input.

Old 01-01-10, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator
The stethoscope is a real tool...most any autoparts store will have it. It uses a metal rod that you touch to components and the sound gets transmitted and amplified though the earpieces.

The flex plate (not shield) is what attaches to the end of the crankshaft..and then the torque converter bolts to that....like the flywheel on a manual trans car. It is inside the housing of the trans. It has teeth around the edge for the starter to engage.