1988 Ford F150 5.8 liter fuel injected Need Help

Old 01-18-10, 05:22 AM
1988 Ford F150 5.8 liter fuel injected Need Help

I have a 1988 ford f150 5.8 liter cranks most of the time and will idle as long as you dont give it gas, because then it will die. It acts like it is starving for gas and it back fires. Once it dies it has a hard time cranking again it just turns over and turns over. Once it sets for a little while it will crank but runs very rough and eventually dies again. I put a new fuel filter and air filter in No Fix. Please help

Last edited by JoJo6; 01-18-10 at 05:24 AM. Reason: added something to title
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-10, 09:43 AM
Group Moderator
First thing I would do would be to get a pressure gauge on it and see what kind of output you are getting from the fuel pump.

Old 01-18-10, 12:39 PM
ok we have check distibutor cap looks good put new spark plugs in it. How do you check the fuel pressure sorry something I've not done. We also check the air coming out of tail pipe make sure converter not stopped up that is all good.

Old 01-18-10, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
Fuel pressure you will need a gauge with hose and adapter. Check the fuel rail or fuel lines to see if there's a fitting installed, if not it gets a little trickier.

You didn't say, but this is fuel injected and not carbureted? For fuel injected you should have about 30 psi at idle from what I could find for specs.