problem with electric window motor

Old 02-03-10, 10:31 AM
problem with electric window motor

The passenger side window on my 2000 dodge ram will got to where it would not operate at all. The only way i got it up was to pull up on the glass while someone press the button. This morning my 5yr old grandaughter press the window button and it came down about half way. now i couldn't get it back up even pressing the button and pushing. I took the panel off and checked the power at the motor..... its good....now the motor will try to push the window up but will not do it and then the motor sounds like its just bumping when press the button, but it will still let the window down a little at a time....does this sound like the motor or something else....thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-10, 11:44 AM
It may be the wire cable in the window regulator. Sometimes they fray and get in a bind. That's what happened with my truck. I bought another and it was an easy fix.
I've also had window motors go out before. They're fairly easy to replace as well. Good luck.

Old 02-03-10, 01:19 PM
thanks........appreciate it

Old 02-03-10, 02:58 PM
Window regulators do fail, especially when 10 years old. Pretty easy to replace but sometimes you have to drill out and replace some huge rivets. The switches sometimes fail too, snow and water fall in on the door panel and make its way in the switch.

Old 02-04-10, 12:15 PM
ok i got the old unit out of the door. Not as hard as i thought it might be. It does not have any cables, it is the kind that works like a scissors lift. Got a new one ordered from advance for 67.00, be here in the morning. The old one had a nylon wheel that went back and forth on the track that was broke and had jumped off the track probably causing it to ruin the motor, because when i hooked it up straight to the battery it would run in either direction for a second and quit until it cooled down for 5 min and then do it again.....thanks for the help

Old 02-05-10, 03:57 PM
Make sure you put lots of grease where that wheel runs, and grab a can of silicone spray as well, and spray up and down the felt guides at sides of windows as well. Do them all with silicone from time to time, as it helps reduce load on motors and window mechanisms when they slide easier.