vibration and growling noise in steering wheel and brake pedal

Old 02-04-10, 12:32 PM
vibration and growling noise in steering wheel and brake pedal

well got my window problem fixed, now if i can find out what is causing this problem. It is a 2000 dodge ram 2500 diesel. When i crank it up on cool or cold mornings it makes a loud growling noise especially when the wheel is turned either way and or you press the brake pedal you can feel vibration in the pedal and the steering wheel. And the brakes are very sensitive during this warming up period. Once the truck is driven 4 or 5 miles and warms up good then everything is back to normal with steering and brakes, usually for the rest of the day. But next morning it does it all again, and the colder it is the worse the growling sound is....I have sucked out the brake fluid and the power steering fluid several times and then replaced with new but has not helped..Is it possible the belt could be slipping a little when its cold and then maybe tightens up when it warms up. I have never replaced the belt since buying it new... thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-10, 04:51 PM
The power steering pump also acts as a hydra max pump for the brakes so the issue lies with the pump.

Old 02-05-10, 03:52 PM
After 9 or 10 years, I'd certainly change that belt just to be sure.
Has the truck always done this, or just recently?

Old 02-05-10, 04:58 PM
Its been doing this about 6 months or so but it only does it when the tems are cold, 40 degrees and less. But it stops when the engine warms up and all the fluids warm up...

Old 02-06-10, 09:26 AM
might try-change/flush the power steering fluid