Caulking Removal from camper / trailer

Old 03-08-10, 07:50 PM
Question Caulking Removal from camper / trailer

We recently purchased a 30ft trailer/camper, the previous owners had a vinyl add a room the kind that is attached to the awning on the trailer then with sides. The previous owners put clear silicone down the sides to seal it and keep out the bugs.
They kept the add a room for their trailer as we have a permanent awning and deck, my question is... does anyone know how to remove the old silicone caulking without scratching the siding? I managed to pick off the big lumps but the rest still remains, It is an aluminum sided trailer/camper.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-10, 02:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You may have some success with a plastic putty knife, and once you get down to residue, you can use something like MEK (Methyl Ethyl Keytone) to finish the removal. It is more forgiving than lacquer thinner. You still may have to polish the haze produced by it's use, but it shouldn't remove the paint.

Old 03-09-10, 04:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is it bare aluminum? or painted/color finish?

Old 03-09-10, 05:06 AM
Is the caulking leaking or unsightly?

Old 03-13-10, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Is it bare aluminum? or painted/color finish?
HI
It is aluminum sided and painted cream, I tried with a plastic putty knife and it leaves scratches.

Old 03-13-10, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by robcas631 View Post
Is the caulking leaking or unsightly?
The caulking is just unsightly.

Old 03-14-10, 04:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You won't want to use any solvents, lacquer thinner will dissolve the paint

Your plastic putty knife is the way to go but you need a lubricant. I'd try soapy water.

Old 03-20-10, 08:43 AM
Ok I will try that, we had a small heatwave now its back to cold weather, so will wait till it gets a bit warmer, I was talking to my local RV place and they suggestest coleman camp fuel, in a well ventilated area and then to wash it real well would that take off the paint? If I go up there this week I will try and take a few pics and post here.

Thanks for your help and input so far

Old 03-20-10, 04:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not familiar enough with the camp fuel to know what solvent it resembles I'd guess if it's weak enough to not harm the paint it probably isn't strong enough to dissolve the caulking's bond

Old 03-20-10, 06:31 PM
Seeing how your in Southern Ontario, contact the "fastener center", out of Woodstock,Ont.,and see if they still sell an ultra solvent called "aggressor"! (sold by Drummond, out of Mississauga Ont.) Comes in a spray can and you spray it on, wait a bit, then start scraping, or even wiping and it comes off pretty good. A bodyshop supply place may also have it, plus you can ask them for a plastic scraper, that's about 1/2" wide, that bodyshops use for removing moldings, and adhesives that hold them on. It's thicker/stronger than a putty knife/scraper and is better for trying to get that silicone off and won't scratch. If nothing else the fastener center will be able to tell you who the sales rep for your area is, and how to contact him/her.

Old 03-28-10, 10:29 AM
Thankyou, I will try and locate them to ask. Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions.