f150 electrical issue with power window

Old 03-29-10, 01:48 PM
f150 electrical issue with power window

I've got a 2000 F-150, with an interesting electrical issue.
when I use to power windows to close the windows after the windows reach the top the motor still tries to run and cuts power to other parts of vehicle. (headlights and interior lights dim, engine locks drive wheels when moving) issue resolves when power window switch is released, and only happens intermittently.

Any ideas on if this could be the switch or motor issue?
or other areas to look at?

thanks, Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-10, 06:23 PM
[QUOTE=azjoez;1711781]issue resolves when power window switch is released, and only happens intermittently.

QUOTE]

by your post it sounds as if your holding the switch in position after the window stops?? If so , be aware these motors draw a lot of current & will continue to do so until you release the switch or the circuit breaker opens.. (or the GEM module burns out)) Roger

Old 03-29-10, 10:12 PM
Thanks Roger,
That is precisely when the voltage drain occurs
Although I don't recall that happening until recently, or on my other vehicles.
I recall the power to the window motor cutting off when the window reaches the top (even though the switch at the door is pressed).

Also the power drop in the truck is only when the window is up and button is pressed, not in the down position or when the window is in motion.
I just wasn't sure if the fault was in the switch,motor, or module.
-joe

Old 03-30-10, 07:43 PM
The windows on my Ranger will suck the volt meter down if I hold the switch after the window stops... I just release the switch as the window quits mooving... I can't think of anything right now that rings a bell,, & I worked @ a Ford Dealer for ~20 years,, "till 2005... Can't recall any problems with these,, but the mind isn't like it used to be... Roger

Old 04-11-10, 01:38 AM
I think I've figured out the issue.

as far as I can tell there is a resetable fuse/circut breaker in the motor that trips when the window hits the top, I dont think I'll replace the power window motor on this issue alone, although I suspect that replacing the motor would solve the issue. for now I will just use care when using my power windows.