2002 Tundra limited slip diff

Old 04-23-10, 04:21 PM
2002 Tundra limited slip diff

I bought this new. It now has 67k, mostly highway miles, and the clutch pack is worn out. Is this the norm for these vehicles and is $950 the right number for a repair? I am somewhat miffed that this supposedly reliable vehicle needs this major a repair at low miles.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-10, 07:32 PM
67k & the clutch pac is worn out running highway miles??? Have you checked with Toyota about this?? I had 300k on a Ranger & the locking diff worked fine... These only slip when you turn a corner, so unless your driving in circles it should never wear out...What is it doing that makes you think it's worn out???? Roger

Old 04-23-10, 07:54 PM
Are you sure you GOT the limited slip?
The LAST Government Motors truck I ordered (many years ago and not a Toyota) didn't have what I ordered. I eventually got reimbursed. You need to verify, with part number, that it is a limited slip.

Old 04-24-10, 07:10 AM
Yes it is limited slip, or was

I looked at the Maroney sticker and I paid $275 for LSD and it has the sticker on the pumpkin. It was diagnosed by an independent repair shop that services only Toyota. I took it in because it got stuck several times last winter with the RR tire on ice and the LR would not drive. I had to put it in 4 WD to move on flat ground. It used to work, and has been regularly serviced. This will be my last Toyota.

Old 04-27-10, 02:52 PM
Now I am more confused

I took it in to Toyota and they said that is the way it should work. If if won't drive when only one rear has traction, what is the point of a LSD? I sort of had the opinion that he didn't have anyone competent to service it and really didn't want to mess with it. Am I missing something here??

Old 04-27-10, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Handyman663 View Post
I took it in to Toyota and they said that is the way it should work. If if won't drive when only one rear has traction, what is the point of a LSD? I sort of had the opinion that he didn't have anyone competent to service it and really didn't want to mess with it. Am I missing something here??
You must always remember--There are not many professional "auto mechanics" today--They are parts changers, and call themselves auto technicians

Old 04-27-10, 07:39 PM
I went thru the ranks & got the Automotive ticket & expanded my experience & got my Truck & Coach, & went out on a limb again & got my Heavy Equipment ticket... After I realizied what I was making & the investment in tools, I got out of the trade alltogether...That's probably why there aren't any professional "Auto Mechanics" left anymore... Everyone thought a Mechanic was Cheap to hire & treat him like s**t & when he leaves,, there's lots of them on the street to replace him..Sorry,, Just venting.... The diff on your truck should deliver the same "Torque" to both wheels up to the limited slip slipping point... EG.. If 200 ft/lbs is delivered to the rear axle, 100 ft/lbs is delivered to each wheel... the clutch in the rear axle is designed to slip, but it should still apply torque to the wheel with traction... If you jack the back wheels off the ground, with the trans in neutral, can you turn one wheel & hold the other while the driveshaft turns?? If so, somethings wrong,,, Take it back to Toyota & ask for a Demo of how it's supposed to work.... Roger

Old 04-29-10, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the reply Hopkins...

I feel your pain. I am a retired engineer, but over 40 yrs ago, after college, I went to the local vo-tech and took auto mechanics. I then moonlighted, working on fellow employees cars for several years. I discovered that while I loved cars and repairing them, most people hated spending any $$ on their ride. I, too quit the business.

As to my Toyota, your explanation of equal torque to the rears makes sense, and the Toyota dealer is full of it. I have used your phrase for years that particularly at new car dealers the techs are "parts changers" and can't really diagnose nor repair things. My local independent shop (Toyota only) is more old school and have remedied problems that the dealer was unable to diagnose. I guess if I can muster the $950, I'll have them replace the clutch pack. I am still mystified by the early failure, particularly with mostly road miles on this truck. I think it must be either bad design or it was not correctly assembled at the factory.

Old 04-29-10, 09:32 AM
Lsd

Before I spent the big bucks I would drain the diff and refill it with the lube that it requires. May not help but wont cost much to try.

Old 04-29-10, 10:28 AM
Thanks retired

I have already done that. My other consideration is to never repair it, because it is non critical. I tough spots I still have 4WD.