bulldog rack and gear trailer jack

Old 07-25-10, 08:23 PM
bulldog rack and gear trailer jack

I have a bulldog brand model 160 rack and gear jack. It has a welded gearbox and is totally inoperable. I bought the trailer recently. The trailer has been sitting outside in the weeds. I have lubed the moving parts with WD40 in the hope of freeing the mechanism. The jack is welded to my trailer and I will have to cut the welds to remove the jack from the trailer. Is it possible to open the gearbox and repair it?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-10, 04:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
WD40 isn't a lubricant as much as it is a water dispersant (Water Dispersant formula 40). Try a product such as PB Blaster. It will tend to penetrate the mechanism more and may help break the seizure up. Is there a grease fitting (zerk) on the column? If so, I'd fill it with grease once I get it broken loose.

Old 07-27-10, 05:14 AM
Lubricant for Bulldog Jack

I will purchase some PB Blaster. Thanks for the suggestion.

The gearbox has a zerk and I pumped it full of grease last night.

Old 09-05-10, 07:54 PM
bulldog success

About 30 days after filling the gearbox through the zerk, I had given up on ever using this jack again because it was so rusted. I thought, 'why not give it one last try before buying a replacement?' I tried to move the jack handle and much to my surprise the handle moved very easily. I guess the penetrating oil broke through the rust that was binding together the interior and exterior tubular steel parts of the jack. I did not have to open the gearbox but removed the tubular steel parts from the lower end of the mechanism. I cleaned, inspected and lubricated all the moving parts. The gears and the rack were in excellent condition but the tubular steel parts had been rusted together for years, were pitted, and required sanding. I am amazed that I got them apart. The jack works very well now and I will use it, lube it often and protect it from moisture.