Pickup too small for RV

Old 08-09-10, 08:20 AM
Pickup too small for RV

I recently bought a new 29 ft. travel trailer. It weighs around 6300lbs all loaded and ready for the campground. My 2000 F150 with a 5.4L is really struggling, especially with the A/C running.

So I'm looking at upgrading to a 3/4 ton. Preferably a Ford again. I would rather not go to diesel but only because I've never had one and it would make me nervous in the winter time. I don't need anything new but I'm looking at somewhere between a 00 to a 04.

My question is, what size motor do you think I would need to pull this trailer? I am just not sure I know all the options for the 3/4 ton fords and if gas is more expensive than diesel or what?

Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-10, 08:35 AM
Group Moderator
If I remember correctly, the only bigger gas engine in that age would be their V10

I drove a few of them, never saw much difference over the old 460 V8

Typically, gas will cost you less up front but diesel will be cheaper long-term. Long trips pulling a trailer are where diesel engines excel the most.

Old 08-09-10, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator
You surely don't need a diesel, it is more the gear ratio of the rear end you need to focus on.

Here is a chart for 2002 Ford trucks that should be close to what you have.
If you happen to have high ratio hwy gearing it would not be surprising you have trouble towing.

What rear end do you have?

Old 08-09-10, 06:59 PM
I don't know what my gear ratio is. How do I find out? Is this type of rearend something that I can go out and buy? I wouldn't dare to install it myself but anymore ideas would sure be helpful. At least that would be a lot cheaper than buying a new pickup.

I forgot to add that the truck seems to handle the trailer just fine but as soon as I get a head wind the darn thing can't get going.

Old 08-09-10, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator
It is possible to change the rear end but it is a lot of work and the parts won't come cheap.

Here is a door sticker decoder.
There also may be a tag on the differential housing.

Another Ford specification site..

Old 08-09-10, 07:52 PM
That was very helpful. OK... so I see the axle code is 19 which means I have a 3.55 non-LS rearend right? Like I said before, its a 2000 F150 5.4L. The transmission code is U so that means I have a 4R70W Automatic tranny. From what you can tell do you think I can do better?

By the way, my brother just had someone change his rearend in his pickup and it only cost him $600 parts and labor. I'm guessing he found the rearend at the junkyard though.

Old 08-10-10, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator
It looks like you have the biggest motor and lowest ratio rear end for that vehicle.
The specs say you have a towing capacity of 8800 lbs.
Have you tried dropping it into a lower gear for a bit of extra power?

It looks like if you want more power you will need to move up to a 3/4 ton super duty model.
If you do look at another vehicle make sure you check the complete specs on whatever you want to buy.
Use the door sticker to give you that info.

Old 08-10-10, 07:22 AM
Bummer. Was hoping a rearend change would help me out. So I guess I almost need to go with a diesel F250. A 6.0L should be plenty of power shouldn't it?

Gas 3/4 ton Fords are hard to come by. Plus high mileage when you do find them.

Old 08-10-10, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator
Yes, a diesel would have more lugging power but again, don't buy a truck just for the motor, if the rear end is not matched to what you want to do you will be where you are now.

It would be well worth the time to take the info off the door tag and anything else you can get and research what you are buying.

Old 08-10-10, 04:36 PM
pickup too small

1/2 ton pickups for the last several years have been made for one thing,,to drive to work not do much work. The motore are smothered to meet govt specs, the trans are too light to stand much towing, and the rear ends are pass car quality. To think of towing an RV that heavy with one is sheer folly. You should have been warned by the RV dealer but that might have *****ed the sale. Looks like you got two choices, get a trailer to fit the truck or a truck to fit the trailer. I know Im going to get heat for this but I have been fooling with this stuff for 50 years and I think I know what I am talking about. And as you seem to be a novice at this,ask questions and do research on every other step you make. It could save lives.

Old 08-10-10, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator
Talking I am not sure how you would get heat for speaking the truth.

This is kinda a timely thread cause I am dealing with capacities in setting up my '88 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 to haul a big old truck camper.

I am aware of what a real truck looks like.
Some think that taking a front wheel drive set up from a car and putting it on a truck is 4x4!
What I see as a curse for folks who want to haul with a newer truck is the long leaf springs they use now.
Makes for a car like ride but any kind of load on the rear makes the bumper drag.

Old 08-11-10, 04:23 PM
pickup size

The nicest set up I ever had was a 67 chev C-10 that had coils all the way around with a monster overload spring. It rode better than some cars and I hauled 2 ton on it several times. The tires were the weak link.

Old 08-12-10, 07:37 AM
retired wrench:

Couldn't agree with you more! Believe me I knew when I bought the camper that it could be a problem but had hopes otherwise. Now... I'm gonna go find a truck to fit my camper.

Old 08-12-10, 06:53 PM
pick up

All the pros pulling trailers out of Elkhart use 3/4 ton single wheel trucks.

Old 11-22-10, 08:22 AM
Finally!! I bought a 2004 F250 with the V10. Should be enough power to pull that trailer now!!

Old 11-22-10, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator
OPEC says thank you! lol...j/k

Drove a loaded U-Haul panel van (17' I think) with the V-10 from VA to CA a few years back. Was hauling a car carrier with a Suzuki Verona onboard. Pretty sure it was about a 36 gal tank. Never had any power issues and the tow/haul mode really helped in the mountains, though it screamed like a banshee doing down the Rockies. Never made it to 300 on a tank...280 was about as far as my nerves would let me go. Credit card wept every time we pulled in for gas.

Old 11-22-10, 11:19 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, decent power but that engine never got the fuel economy many thought it should have

Old 11-22-10, 11:39 AM
Power was what I was looking for... not economy. But that would have been a bonus. But the last pickup I had I only put on 20k miles in the 3 years I owned it. I couldn't justify a diesel for that.

Old 11-22-10, 01:03 PM
Group Moderator
I agree with you - diesels are better suited to longer trips

I'm in the market for a new car and have eliminated diesels since so many of my trips are five miles or less

It would take you a long time to recoup the cost of the diesel in the fuel savings at 7K miles/year