Foul odor and taste in water

Old 08-10-10, 12:31 PM
Foul odor and taste in water

In my '87 Terry Resort, at first I thought I might have a problem with the fresh water holding tank because I was getting a real nasty smell and taste from the water. But this past weekend, we went camping and the camp ground had water hookup. So we weren't using the holding tank but that same smell and taste was still there. Doesn't really seem to matter if you're using hot or cold water, it's the same. So this would eliminate the fresh water holding tank as the problem would it not?

Last week, I got some Sodium Dichlor and gave the fresh water tank and all the lines a good cleaning as was suggested on something I read online, but that didn't seem to cure the problem.

Would anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this and how I might fix it? Or, is this normal and you can't usually use the water coming through the trailer taps for drinking etc.?? Is it possible that the lines going to the taps are old and giving off some sort of smell/taste? I'm just kind of baffled here and looking for solutions because it would be nice to be able to use the water for everything and not have to haul extra water from home.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-10, 08:00 PM
odor

Wish someone would come up with an answer I have the same problem with my Terry. Only mine comes and goes. one trip it will do it and three it wont. Sometimes a cal rod in the water heater will cause this but mine dont have one.??????

Old 08-22-10, 06:38 AM
Have Had pretty good luck by removing the supply hose from tap, draining hose a bit, then adding bleach to fill the hose and reconnect, and run that through the system to flush lines. I usually will drain water heater before ( because that's where it goes first, so the water heater tends to allow that smell to permeate into the aluminum.) and make sure it's full of the new solution, then shut off hose, relieve pressure, and remove hose from tap and repeat adding a little more bleach. Now reconnect to tap, and run (with bleach) through taps until you smell bleach at each one, and stop. Let it sit for a while if possible in the lines and water heater. (longer the better) Then after letting it sit, I flush hot and cold thoroughly through each set of taps, until I'm sure all bleach has been displaced especially through water heater, whether you have a 6 or 10 gal tank. I've had to do this on some 12 wides with 20gal household style tanks, just to get the sulfur smell out of the system. Some were bad enough I had to do it twice to get rid of it. The water heater is the most likely culprit for it continuing to smell, so that's why I give it a fresh fill with bleach added and let it sit in there, before I flush cold lines. Be sure you don't have any filters in your system , and if you do, change them, as they will retain the smell as well.

Old 09-16-10, 08:10 AM
Smell

I beleive I figured out on mine that it happens when I havent drained the water heater. I filled the tank,added a half cup of bleach then drove it around to mix. Turned the pump on and filled WH and all plumbing. Let it sit 24 hours then drained and flushed. Seems OK.

Old 09-16-10, 11:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The water lines have picked up a bad case of Algea, bacteria and mold, which produce the foul smells and taste.

The first step is to clean the tank and line, as this will remove clinging oil, slime and sediment. Add four teaspoons of liquid soap for every ten gallons of water held in your system. Pump the solution through all the outlets and into your holding tanks. Now take it for a ride. The "sloshing" will be an added bonus in the cleaning process. Drain the soap/water solution and refill with clear water. Continue to pump clear water through the system until all evidence of soap has been eliminated. If you have not been performing this act regularly, then a repeat performance is recommended!

Once the system is clean it can be disinfected. Disinfecting does not "clean" the tank, that only kills the bacteria that has gained a foot hold in your system. Fill the fresh water tank halfway with water. Add 6 ounces of liquid chlorine beach for every ten gallons of water the tank will hold and then fill your holding tank to the top. Open all water outlets and pump the solution through until you can smell the chlorine in the water coming out. Shut all faucets off and let the system stand for at least one hour. Reopen the faucets and pump the remaining solution into your holding tanks. The system should then be thoroughly flushed with normal chlorinated tap water until the smell of chlorine has diminished to the same level as that of the water you are using to flush with. Cleaning and disinfecting should be done at least once a year, or anytime contamination is suspected.

You might even check with a Boating Supply store or Farm and agricultural supply store for"Selectrocide". This a chlorine dioxide product that is used as a disinfectant, sanitizer, and algaecide for applications in the horticulture and food processing industries. It's safe and kills of and removes the mold and Algae.

Old 09-17-10, 04:31 AM
ASE Master, thanks for the information. I have a weekend rental cabin and had problems with both hot and cold water having an off smell, even after evacuating water for a period of time. I decided to pull the water heater since it was nearly 12 years old anyway. I looked up and noted the filter wasn't brown, as normal, but black. I pulled the filter from the canister and it reeked of the smell. Conclusion was it was mold. The drain water from the water heater was clear, but smelled. The inside of the dielectric couplings was black.
I will need to find a way to inject bleach or the "selectrocide" in the system. Any suggestions will be welcomed.

Old 09-17-10, 05:24 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
I will need to find a way to inject bleach or the "selectrocide" in the system. Any suggestions will be welcomed.
chandler - If you have a chlorinator valve installed on your water system, I think that would allow you to do what you want. However, to fill the water heater, I think you would need to first kill the cold water to tank and then drain it. By using the chlorinator valve, and opening the cold water handle, I think the tank would refill with chlorine or "selectrocide" (you probably would need to open cold water to a nearby faucet to release air).

A chlorinator valve is typically used to flush chlorine through the whole house plumbing system so that is an option to consider too.

Old 09-17-10, 08:16 AM
water smell

Chandler

My plumbing in the house is always black but it comes from the water itself. We call it "egg water". A water softener helps some.

Old 09-17-10, 02:43 PM
Rob, plumbing is not my actual forte, so where does one get a chlorinator valve, and where would it be placed in the water line? Interesting.
Wrench, I can turn on the water at the well and it is pure as driven snow, but it seems after it gets in the system it goes south. I think I'll try the chlorinator valve and some of that magic potion ASE suggested.
Thanks folks!! Sorry to get off track.

Old 09-17-10, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Rob, . . . where would it be placed in the water line?
chandler, sent you a PM w/ pics.