Norcold N811

Old 08-30-10, 10:40 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Norcold N811

Hey all, I have a Norcold model N811 refrigerator which came with our 5th-wheel when purchased in 2004. Until the last few months it's worked flawlessly and I've kept the exterior compartment free from bugs & build-ups. The last 2 times we've taken it out the unit takes 12+ hours for the fridge portion to cool down and about 6-8 hours for the freezer to cool down. Once up and running for 1-2 days neither seem as cold as previous uses. The unit will start / run with either propane or AC power. It's just that it's not as cold. I'm aware of the fact that most RV refrigerators are ammonia based vs freon based, but have never had to deal with a problem as yet. Guess I've been lucky. Any & all suggestions that I can possibly do myself before bringing it into a service center would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Randy

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-10, 07:28 AM
M
Check cooling fins at back of fridge for thermostat/thermistor attached to them. Try moving it to the left a couple of more fins and give it 24 hrs to adjust. See if that helps.

Old 09-30-10, 10:03 AM
B
Randy A.,

Hopefully you have already fixed this problem but incase you have not here are some quick troubleshooting steps. It sounds to me like you have a problem with either the Ventillation, the Thermistor, or the Cooling Unit. First thing you should do is remove both of your vents to check for obstructions. Venting is KEY when it comes to a gas absorption refrigerator because it controls the ammount of ammonia that is going to flow through the cooling unit. If there are no obstructions, turn the temp setting to the coldest setting you have and remove the Thermistor from your light fixture (it has a 4-prong connector). It's best to keep the Thermistor connected to your fins while doing this. Run the refrigerator in LP (gas) mode while doing this so that you can monitor it and make sure the flame is present while running. Run it for 8 hours continuously. If the refrigerator has not gotten down to temperature after that time frame, you have a bad Cooling Unit. If it has cooled down within spec, you have a bad Thermistor.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 05-04-11 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Link removed. Soliciting not allowed.
Old 09-30-10, 05:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like you might have an icing problem in the cooling unit. Is there a large amount of ice on the cooling fins in the back of the refer box? Ice build up will cause causing issues, not to mention a no cooling problem, because the thermostat thinks that the box is cold enough and does not ask for additional cooling. Also if you have a lot of items on the top shelf the unit will not cool, because air will not move around the box. Most cooling issues will set a code. If there is a code, tell us what it is. Check for ice. Make sure there arenít to many items on the top shelf. Also make sure that nothing is hot on the top shelf.

Click below.

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncoldnnewnseries.pdf