Dodge Ram engine swap

Old 09-18-10, 06:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Dodge Ram engine swap

I have a 99 Ram 1500 4x4, auto, AC with a blown 5.2 engine. I also have a 95 Ram 1500 4x4, auto, AC with a 5.9 engine that I want to put in the 99. I have done many engine swaps, but none with OBDII. Will the computer in the 99 accept the 5.9 engine or will I have to have the computer reflashed to accept a 5.9. I understand the engine wiring harness in the 99 will have to be used on the 95 engine. Any input is appreciated. Thanks:WH:

Old 09-18-10, 07:00 PM
Yes the pcm may be reflashed, But you need to get creative....The Pcm has a "VIN" Burned into it......With an Engine code.... This will Make it virtually impossible for PCM to accept 5.9 Programming if it believes it still has a 5.2. A trip to The dealer with your registration and proof of ownership will be necessary.
Is your ignition Key Gray or Black?.. The Gray one is for "SKREEM" system which also has a VIN burned in. That will need to be changed also.

Not Sure, But Do Both Motors have distributors???? It will make a HUGE difference in which Flexplate/Flywheel bolts onto the "NEW" motor.

Old 09-19-10, 03:27 AM
Both have black keys and both engines have distributors. Would I just be better off getting a 99 5.2 engine? I just found out about one for $300. I just figured I could put the 5.9 in because I have it.

Old 09-20-10, 02:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
(Quote) I just found out about one for $300.

$300 engine?

Below must be confirmed before purchase.

Is seller responsible and reliable?
How has engine been stored?
Outside (uncovered) exposed to elements?
Outside (covered) but still exposed to elements?
Inside in shed or garage and protected from elements?
How much rust and corrosion are on engine?
Is engine installed under the hood of a vehicle?
Does engine start?
Does engine continue to run once started?
Compression test results are?
Cylinder leak down test results are?

Old 09-23-10, 03:30 PM
300$ is really cheap, But that is the only thing you know about it.. Does your 5.9 run?
Why spend 300$ on a "Crapshoot" if you have a running motor. The programming I mentioned at the dealership should be WAY UNDER what you plan on spending for a motor/ Usually an Hour labor, which is roughly 100$.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: