RV 12 volt wiring issue

Old 09-21-10, 11:31 AM
RV 12 volt wiring issue

I own a 2006 Wildwood travel trailer. The last two trips we have taken with it, we have had trouble after hooking up the electricity at the campground. After we plug it in, none of the 12 volt stuff (lights) work. The A/C works but no lights. Also, after plugging it in and trying to flip a light on there is a beep the comes from the main electrical panel in the trailer. It seems like, after a few minutes of me switching the main breaker off and on, the lights suddenly work. But the first time this happened I noticed the fan came on by the panel. I'm guessing that is from the 12 volt converter. Anyway, I don't want to do nothing about it because I'm worried that the next time we take it out, we won't get lights at all. Is my 12 volt converter going out?

Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-10, 02:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Tom,

(Quote) It seems like, after a few minutes of me switching the main breaker off and on, the lights suddenly work.

Not a converter issue then.
Begin with the most obvious.
Change the main breaker.

Old 09-21-10, 05:46 PM
How about first testing if the power is making it's way through the main breaker with a voltmeter first, before replacing it.

And say if power is getting past it, then test that light circuit itself. All that flipping might be sending a voltage spike through the line, overcoming some bad connection. Just a thought.

Old 09-21-10, 06:38 PM
(ecman51 said) How about first testing if the power is making it's way through the main breaker with a voltmeter first, before replacing it.

No need for voltmeter test on breaker. You already stated that flipping breaker off and on (several times) get’s lights back on. This confirms power is getting through breaker. The problem is that breaker is (intermittent). That’s why I said change it.

(ecman51 said) And say if power is getting past it, then test that light circuit itself. All that flipping might be sending a voltage spike through the line, overcoming some bad connection. Just a thought.

Again not necessary to check for voltage spike. Converter has built in voltage spike protection. If spike protection was compromised, converter would have melted already.

Like I said. Change the main breaker and post the results.

Old 09-21-10, 06:45 PM
Ya but -ASE - he has had it where there are no lights. Why not test the main breaker when there are no lights?

And wouldn't the A/C, that always works, be on the mainbreaker? For all we know, all his flipping might be either causing a surge, as mentioned (like overcoming a bad starter with a set of jumper cables from another car), or shaking something loose in the box.

Old 09-22-10, 06:06 AM
Ecman is right. The A/C ALWAYS works. But the fact that the I switch the breaker on and off isn't necessarily the cure. Like I said, I have only had this on my last 2 trips so I haven't gotten a chance to really look into it. You know how it is when you are outside leveling the camper and your wife is having a heart failure because the lights aren't working... I just go it and start messing with stuff until it works. I wonder if it maybe is just a matter of TIME that is the factor, like if some connection is weak and it takes time to build up voltage. Could this be a problem?

I will check voltage on the front and back side of the 12 volt lights fuse and post the results.

PS - The beeping is what really puzzles me. What would be beeping?

Old 09-22-10, 03:27 PM
You can't find where the beeping is coming from?

Old 09-23-10, 03:24 AM
(Quote) Ya but -ASE - he has had it where there are no lights. Why not test the main breaker when there are no lights?

Because by posters own admission (when lights are off) his action of flipping breaker on and off a few times got lights back on. Voltmeter test of breaker (when lights are off) would only confirm what I’ve been saying from beginning. Breaker is intermittent.

(Quote) And wouldn't the A/C, that always works, be on the main breaker?

Of course. That’s why it’s called a “main”. In “closed position” it makes the circuit. In “open” position it “breaks” the circuit. Now put both explanations together and you end up with the term “Main Breaker”.

(Quote) For all we know, all his flipping might be either causing a surge, as mentioned

Answered already. One more time. Surge or spike protection is built into the converter. If compromised poster would know it, as overloads would happen. Results would be additional blown breakers, melted wires (circuits), and fires.

(Quote) like overcoming a bad starter with a set of jumper cables from another car,

Did you mean to say battery instead of starter?
Just trying to visualize your suggestion.
Help me out with scenario below.

Starter in my car is dead.
Now you say connect my girlfriends starter to my starter via jumper cables to get my car started?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t I better off having my girlfriend hold the ignition key in my car all the way forward to the full start position (as if she is going to start the car), while I tap on (my starter and solenoid) with a hammer?

(Quote) shaking something loose in the box.

I’ll give you that one (but only 50%) Possibility of loose wire connections at intermittent breaker. But why play games with electricity to save a few bucks. Breaker is cheap enough, where it makes sense to replace with new.

(Quote) Ecman is right. The A/C ALWAYS works.

Of course the A/C always works. I never said it wouldn’t. The service panel in your trailer is no different from the panel in your home.

Example:

Lights in your homes kitchen stop working.
You check breaker, and find it’s not tripped.
Now you flip breaker off and on a few times and lights come back on.

= bad breaker to me.

Have you ruled out carbon monoxide or smoke detector as source of beeping?

Old 09-23-10, 03:13 PM
In a house, if the AC still works when lights go out, that means the main breaker is still active.

Old 09-24-10, 05:36 PM
Beep may be propane detector coming back on when power restored. Easiest thing as far as breakers go, locate the one that powers converter, and simply turn it off and on and see if lights come back on. Also check for circuit breakers on tongue area of trailer. Check for power on both, as well as both terminals just to be sure, when plugged in. Sometimes removing power from them, will reset them. You can also use a jumper wire temporarily from terminal to terminal to test.
Now let me get this straight as well, when hooked up to battery only, you have lights correct? Then when you plug in to hydro, lights don't work, is that correct?
P.S. with unit unplugged, check all breakers are tight at hot wire (black.)