RV lights are dimming

Old 10-09-10, 11:51 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
RV lights are dimming

I posted here a couple weeks ago about an electrical issue in my RV travel trailer. What seems to be happening is that while it is plugged in the lights will not use the 30 amp service. They appear to only be using the 12 volt battery. I changed the main breaker and I also changed the breaker that goes to the converter. Now I'm thinking it might be the converter itself. By the way, the issue continues to get worse and worse. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-10, 01:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Tom,

A few weeks ago you posted that you had to jiggle the breaker to get the lights to work normally. Now you’re saying that the lights are dimming. Is the dimming (in addition to) (or in place of) jiggling the breaker to get the lights to work normally? It does sound like there is new problem with the converter. Before replacing it, confirm your circuits and wiring. Grounds are especially important.

Old 10-09-10, 02:31 PM
T
Checks all the wiring. Grounds are good. I have 15 amp power to the converter but no 12 volt power on the other side. Sorry but I had to unplug the battery to understand why I was getting some but not enough power (dim lights). Battery is bad too. After unplugging the battery I now see that there is no power coming from the converter, even with 15 amps going in.

Old 10-10-10, 12:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
(Quote) I have 15 amp power to the converter but no 12 volt power on the other side.

(Quote) After unplugging the battery I now see that there is no power coming from the converter, even with 15 amps going in.

Tom,

Sounds like the converter is not converting. Replacement may be necessary, but before replacing post manufacturer and model number.

Old 10-12-10, 12:11 PM
T
Converter is WFCO 8855. Apparently the 8800 series was discontinued so I have to order a 8955 MBA. $150 w/ free shipping. Could be worse. Only problem is I decided to go ahead and put away the camper for the winter so I won't be able to tell you all if it worked until next spring. Wife wanted to do the X-mas shopping so there went the $150.

Old 10-16-10, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by tom_miller71 View Post
Battery is bad too. .
I'd try another battery if your's is bad,, Some of these inverters won't put an output out untill you have a load on them.... If the battery is bad as you say it is,, start with that,,, Roger

Old 10-21-10, 07:53 PM
M
Have had quite a few of those go in last few years, usually due to faulty cooling fan or circuit to it, either way, fan not coming on and converter overheating. The newer replacements, have cooling fan coming on and off too much really, but better that, than not at all.