AC compressor seized up

Old 10-11-10, 05:12 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC compressor seized up

The AC compressor on my 2000 Ram 1500 seized up. Can I take the compressor off and put a belt on there for a truck with out AC. I don't want to spend the money for a new compressor.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-10, 07:10 AM
M
AC Compressor

I just had this happen to me in my Taurus and the mechanics were going to put a belt in bypassing the AC Compressor, it was OK with me since I live in MN and never use the AC anyways, it has not worked in a few years.

Then they found that if they routed a belt around the AC compressor it would affect the water pump and the car would overheat. So I went with a used AC Compressor and got it done that way.

Were you able to go without one in your truck?

Old 12-15-10, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
You can just disconnect the wire harness to the A/C so it dont kick on. If you get a code which you should'nt then remove the clutch plate. The unit still acts as a pully.

Mike NJ

Old 12-15-10, 06:08 PM
You can just disconnect the wire harness to the A/C so it dont kick on. If you get a code which you should'nt then remove the clutch plate. The unit still acts as a pully.
Provided the internals only are siezed, yes this is do-able. But rather, unplug one of the pressure switches. This will avoid the "SPIKE" by shutting down the sysyem with the diode suppression intact.

NOW......IF The pulley or bearing itself is damaged (Which is the more common scenario) unplugging will not even come close to getting you out of the water.

Bothe of these vehicles were at some point in there Lineage, available without a/c. Junkyard scavenger hunts will procure the necessary hardware and pulleys to properly route the belt for non-A/c applications.

As mentioned, Just "FUDGING" it will cause more harm than good, Especially on a vehicle with a SERPENTINE BELT.

Old 12-16-10, 05:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 48 Votes on 38 Posts
There are also adapters that bolt in place of the compressor to do the job:

New Dorman A/C Bypass Pulleys