Overloaded F-250?

Old 10-12-10, 06:09 PM
Overloaded F-250?

[SIZE=3]This Spring I hope to be moving from Maryland to Arizona or West Texas. I’m taking a 32’ RV and all the tools I can pack into the utility body on my truck.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]It is a 1988 F-250 (I was told it was a “heavy’ 250) 302 EFI, AOD, No A/C. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I had it weighed yesterday and it came in at 6000 lbs. I just took a look at the sticker on the door post and it said 2870 front and 4004 rear. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Now, here’s my first question.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]When they build a truck ordered for a utility body, do they put heavier springs in to account for the heavy body If so, who does that? The manufacturer or the company that puts the body on?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Looking at the sticker, adding the front and rear axle weights, I come up with 6874. I know doggone good and well I have way more than 874 ponds of tools. And then there is the trailer. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Here’s my second question.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Am I going to be able to do this move with this truck or am I going to be over loading it?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-10, 07:44 PM
does it have a 'full float' rear axle?
(has an 8 bolt flange - under the hub cap)-yes/ heavy duty- no / not h.d.(not the lug nuts- a separate axle flange)
also- the 'gvw' will tell- over 8,500-h.d.(not individual - ft & rear)
i personly would not attempt that long of a haul -pulling a 32' -with a 302.
slow & easy in 3rd gear only/ no o.d - might get there.

Old 10-12-10, 09:02 PM
another thing to investigate/ & consider- the rear axle ratio!
there 'should' be a tag on one of the axle cover bolts.
in the set of numbers- you should find - 3:55/3L:55-3:73-4:10 / etc.
the higher the number - the better

Old 10-13-10, 05:45 AM
Damn. Not the answer I was hoping to get. Sadly, it is not a full float rear axle. Now I don't know what to do. This truck is in mechanically perfect condition and runs and rides like a new truck. It is butt ugly because the paint peeled off to the primer. I thought it was going to be able to do the job for me so I was willing to do the body work but if I am going to have to repower it and beef up the drive train and suspension, I'm not seeing any advantage to it.
Maybe I'll just make it pretty again and see if I can get enough out of it to shop for a larger truck. I paid $750 for this truck and I really love it but if it isn't going to get me to Arizona, I guess it has to go.

Old 10-13-10, 07:07 AM
basicly-the verision without the full float axle-is just a h.d. f150.
in 1997 they changed from a 250 to a 150.-with 7 lugs/& expidition brakes.